Tom

Chapter 51: Page 17

Kat.

Comments

Add a comment here

*Check this to prove that you are not Boxbot.
Amanda

Owwww...

17 Apr 2015 | 12:00 AM
somebloke

Kat, continuing to channel the readers.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
BOOTS

nooooooooo the brainwashing goes too deep, I can't deal

17 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
ET

THAT'S RIGHT, KAT, STOP HER. STOP HER AND KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO HER.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
Someone

Tom...Tom...fix it Tom... -_-

17 Apr 2015 | 12:01 AM
gordon

Okay, not sure Kat getting angry at Annie is going to end well.... On the other hand maybe what she needs now is a metaphorical slap across the face to snap her out of whatever the hell her alleged dad did to her.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:02 AM
Someone

It's like Annie has had her very soul taken out of her.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:02 AM
ET

Oooh, what if Kat convinces Annie to give ownership of Renard over to her? There's no way Kat would let her parents push her into giving up ownership, and that way Anthony can no longer pressure Annie into giving him ownership.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:03 AM
szbnahl

I doubt Coyote will take the re-enslavement of his beloved cousin well.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:04 AM
Slapped

That girl is out of control. Go ahead Kat, explain again what people do with friends, and what they don't do. It shouldn't be new info for Annie, but it should wake up her sense. If not, run with the small Renatd. Run for the sake of ye both. RUN GAL, RUN.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:06 AM
FutureAuthor

My sympathy for Annie is rapidly going down the drain

17 Apr 2015 | 12:07 AM
Ayana

Have to agree with Kat... How could Annie agree to this?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:08 AM
Fyda

Why do I get the feeling Kat will have no choice but to grab Renard and run, because Annie won't dare disobey her father's orders?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:08 AM
CharonDusk

And the proverbial dung just hit the proverbial fan. Big time.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:09 AM
Blaise

I know that feel, Kat.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:10 AM
Gerben

*Phew* at least Renard is not gone yet. Annie, on the other hand... Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Anthony Carver must be destroyed.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:11 AM
SarahN

Annie was worried about what Kat thought of her cheating, but she should've been worried about this. You crossed a line with that one, Annie.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:11 AM
Aeronaut

This looks like a job for Zimmy.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:11 AM
Alexandra

Even Eglamore was afraid to take Renard away in fear of breaching the contract of ownership. Renard is going to be very angry upon acquiring freedom.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:12 AM
Alexandra

17 Apr 2015 | 12:12 AM
Foxley

Poor Renard. Taking away free will was supposed to be something Annie was against, and here she goes doing it to him, after allowing it to happen to herself. And that dress with that hair cut seriously makes her look like a victim of a cult.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:13 AM
katie

Jesus it is so creepy to see Renard stuck in Doll state!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:13 AM
Willoh

D: Reynard!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:14 AM
Thatguy

That he is. Oddly enough, while I was mad at Annies father, I'm almost madder at her for being so unbelievably spineless in response. She owns him nothing, he wasn't there her entire life and now he shows up, is a massive dick and she just yields. There is probably some deep psychology stuff behind this, as in that she wants him to love- and be proud of her because he's her dad and all but come on Annie. Show some spirit! You are one after all

17 Apr 2015 | 12:14 AM
Amaroq

I have a feeling her father figured out something about fire elementals and he's using it against her. Like, throughout the series, Annie's spirit was burning brighter and even getting out of control. But when her father suffocated her like that, her burning spirit diminished and now she is easily controllable and manageable. She had become a raging wildfire, and now she's a candle, dancing obediently on a wick.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:16 AM
Kocel

Okay, this is getting creepy. Did Anthony put a chip in her brain when she was a kid, or something?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:17 AM
Arianne

Okay, it looks like Kat needs let Annie finish her sentence. It also looks like Annie did something smart, She ordered Renard to be a still moving doll. Therefore, She complied to her Dad's request and stopped Renard from doing something stupid . It's a smart choice on Annie's part. I'll confess that the make up is one thing that I was like 100% on team Anthony Carver is a Bag of Dicks. I'm still going to see what Tom has plan for Mr. Carver and why He wanted Renard, it's probable not a Mwhahaha He's EVIL thing .I'm still convinced that Mr. Carver is more Snape then Umbridge .

17 Apr 2015 | 12:17 AM
dragowolf

Yes talk sense into Annie, Kat. That girl has apparently lost it all. Dear lord Annie...

17 Apr 2015 | 12:23 AM
Moogy

Yeah, preach it, Kat! Don't let Annie give Renard away like that!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:24 AM
Wes

Kat's words will find no purchase here. She needs to go to her parents and tell them about what their friend Anthony's done to his daughter. The lights are on, but nobody's home.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:26 AM
Frank

This story arc, jesus it is killing me, I had to go back and re read Annie in the Woods just to remind me who the hell annie is again. This is so well written and illustrated but it is destroying me right now, can we just have annie explode into a huge ball of fire and (well deserved) rage? Just putting this out there, if your father ignores you, sends you to a school and never contact you, blames you for being born, violates all your boundaries and ignores you distress concerning yourself and him, he is not your father. Annie need to remember her family is at the court and in the forest. Can Eglamore just come and remove her dad's other limbs?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:28 AM
Hawkspiral

Reynardine won't be able to play with those figurines any more

17 Apr 2015 | 12:28 AM
katpaz

Annie Annie Annie

17 Apr 2015 | 12:28 AM
Verzerren

I couldn't agree more, Kat!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:31 AM
Tyrone

NOOOOOO HOW COULD SHE?? Why?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:34 AM
Drew

Poor girl.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:34 AM
Bedlam

Wow. Circumstances aside, forcing Renard to remain an inanimate doll is pretty cold.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:34 AM
Marvy

I agree with Kat. I don't know this guy well yet, but I think I know him well enough to decide that giving him absolute control over my second best friend is risky. (I think most commenters here would agree with me that this is putting it lightly.) It's one thing to take risks for yourself, but it's not fair for Annie to decide what risks Reynardine should take. Mindless obedience must stop when it puts friends in danger. And yes, it is mindless. He had a good excuse for repeating last year. He gave no reason at all why Renard should be in his custody. Considering the past they've had, I have serious doubts they would get along. I hope Kat does something here. Annie's too emotional to think straight now. Kat might be as well, but she has a better chance at thinking straight right now than Annie.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:35 AM
BerrySauce

Annie I want to punch you so bad right now. SNAP. OUT. OF. IT!!!! WHERE IS THE GIRL WHO YELLED AT THE HEADMASTER, "YOU ARE NOT TO TAKE RENARD AWAY FROM ME!"????

17 Apr 2015 | 12:36 AM
AmbitiousHobo

He's also a spirit with the power to possess and kill people, which he has done with an honest smile on his face several times in order to get what he wants. I see Anthony as someone who chooses to act through logic rather than emotions. And all of his actions are sound, logically speaking. He is protecting his daughter from people like Ysengrin, who takes unnatural joy in tearing living things apart; and Reynard, who has murdered multiple times; and Coyote, who - let's be honest - is unpredictable and could turn on her at a moment's notice. Disregard what we the readers know, and Anthony's actions make a lot of sense.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:36 AM
laura

Go kat!! And i totally agree with kat...DO SOMETHING RENARD!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:37 AM
Lord Hubris

Kat continues to be on the ball at least.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:37 AM
Alli

Kay needs to slap some sense into Annie

17 Apr 2015 | 12:39 AM
Cat Wade

Is anyone else deeply upset by this new chapter? Like I'm almost afraid to read it! Waa.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:46 AM
Carmen

There's been a lot of commentary about how kat should kind of slow down and actually hear Annie, but... yeah, you don't hand over ownership of friends just because it's possible. If Renard was smart he wouldn't have said anything- he'd've just run away to where he couldn't hear her commands, and stayed there until Annie wasn't in such an obedient mood.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:47 AM
spiritdragon

YES! Be disgusted Kat! Tell Annie this is insane. That it's going too far. Make her see. Something's gotta give. If Kat doesn't threaten to end the friendship over giving Reynard over, then Kat isn't doing Kat.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:48 AM
CM

Hmm, Annie's expression in that last panel says that this particular argument might be getting through to her at last.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:50 AM
Akael

I think it's time for Kat to bring it down to Chinatown. Annie needs to be confronted with the truth that her father abandoned her, showed her no affection or concern whatsoever, and is trying to dismantle everything that makes her who she is and remove any trace of her mother that was left. I have a feeling that she is not long for the Court, but then I have never been correct in my predictions of this comic :P

17 Apr 2015 | 12:51 AM
Xik

I'm starting to worry that we're getting into endgame or something, if that makes any sense.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:51 AM
Yohn

Renard NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:53 AM
RIR

2 more comics away from abandoning this for a while. I don't read this to suffer.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:02 AM
Someone

I love Annie's attitude towards this particular situation. It's like "oh, my father wants to take away a friend of mine and possibly harm him. I think I shall tell said friend to shut up". It's like she doesn't even care about Rey.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:03 AM
DSheep

Very disappointed with Annie here. Renard is not merely a toy or a tool. He is a sentient being with his own thoughts and desires and he is her friend! He is not hers to give and deserves to be treated with respect and have say in what happens to him. Just because you can control someone in this way doesn't mean you should. I thought Annie had matured enough to realise this. This is far cry from the girl who offered him the freedom to go back to the forest.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:05 AM
potato

I'm getting really irritated

17 Apr 2015 | 1:05 AM
mari-e

Poor Annie. She's like an abuse victim with her father.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:10 AM
Epos

Her apathy is annoying.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:13 AM
Graeme

I hope Kat is able to talk Annie out of giving Renard up, but I worry that Kat will fail and it will fracture their friendship.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:13 AM
D'aww

I wonder if it's going to be a plot point that Kat's got loyal friends that can snap her out of her father's influences. I mean, assuming that she does snap out of it...

17 Apr 2015 | 1:15 AM
Veritas

Priorities. Copying schoolwork? Not a huge deal in the face of everything being turned upside down. But handing off Rey like an old toy, forbidding him even enough agency to speak up about it? That is NOT ON. You go, Kat. Here's hoping you can break through Annie's attitude of "father can do no wrong".

17 Apr 2015 | 1:15 AM
GrimoireM

Kat appears to be the voice for most of the comments in the previous few pages. Way to go. :)

17 Apr 2015 | 1:21 AM
Herp McDerp

Kat, at this point you may need to whack her head with a two-by-four, just to get her attention.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:24 AM
Hekate

Annie has totally descended into submissive-abuse-victim mode. Poor girl. Hopefully she gets snapped out of it soon so that Renard can bite off Anthony's head and get this plot-arc back to fun stuff!

17 Apr 2015 | 1:25 AM
Vee

This latest chapter is such a bitter pill to swallow. I realize the need to respect a parent, but at the cost of such an integral friendship? Why in the hell is Antimony willing to throw that away without a fight? She can give in to her father's demands to correct the mistakes she clearly made, yes, but is it really necessary to cut bonds that she has invested SO MUCH of herself into? No. It's wrong that she should just accept this lying down like a dog, to be simply cast aside like fodder as if her friendship with Reynard was/is nothing more than a flight of fancy? I'm sorry, but Kat's right. That's just cruel and it gives me chills to see how calm Antimony is about it! I have had people turn their backs on me and it nearly shattered me. In knowing that kind of pain, I could never live with myself, knowing that I did nothing my friends needed me most. Antimony's friends have fought for her through thick and thin. Why does she not reciprocate? Can she not see the injustice in it?

17 Apr 2015 | 1:26 AM
AlexTheCynic

Annie bout to get some learning bout friendship from a friend.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:35 AM
acelightning

Oh, Tom, this is getting worse and worse. Please stop hurting us.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:37 AM
Person_thing

If anything happens to the fox, I swear... I'll cry like a baby for hours

17 Apr 2015 | 1:38 AM
ninj4

She makes a good point...

17 Apr 2015 | 1:45 AM
Skree

I understand Reynard's fuss. I would be upset too! He isn't some property. Though he looks like a toy he is actually a body stealing demon, and Annie and Kat's closest friend. It's weird... Normally Annie wouldn't just tell him not to speak, and she wouldn't be nearly as calm about this. Something's definitely up.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:47 AM
Nikary

Well, Annie can't talk back to her father :( so it was either this, or Renard attacking Anthony... But on the other hand, can't she at least lie? While Renard is like this, it would be impossible to tell if it's him or not... *gasp* Maybe it's not actually Renard! Maybe what Annie actually did was ordering him to switch bodies?! O.O *hopehopehopewishwishwishpleasepleaseplease*

17 Apr 2015 | 1:49 AM
Silverv

I'm on team Kat.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:56 AM
Jadis

Welp. I suspect mind rape.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:57 AM
Hors Service

You know, in fact I'm kind of confused by this. It's maybe an issue with all Mystery stories, but right now I would like nothing more than loath Antimony's dad, and I can't. Because I'm waiting for the Twist. The reveal that what he was doing was justified somehow. Since there's nearly always smthg hidden, I can only feel that here too smthg is hidden, so I can't hate the guy yet. So... Meh. I'm conflicted. Dang.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:58 AM
pip25

I would have been interesting in reading about the "big fuss" Renard made and Annie's reaction to it. Even if it probably would have been rather depressing.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:08 AM
Murwin

Aughhhhhh!

17 Apr 2015 | 2:08 AM
Stanistani

Ahahaha! Gonna come back and read in a month.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:08 AM
Marie

Go for it Kat. We're with you on that one.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:10 AM
IamMe

Notice: "I am to give him to my father" not "I am going to give him to my father" there is hope yet?

17 Apr 2015 | 2:13 AM
Fredrik

Kat, I really hope you can make Annie come to her senses.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:21 AM
Mr Man

Well, bearing in mind that Annie now appears to have the agency of.. well, no agency at all, I assume we're now going to switch to Kat as a main character to figure out what has happened? There's no way Annie would flip personalities like this without some sort of mind control or magic in a well-written comic like this, so something is clearly afoot. Solve this for us, Kat!

17 Apr 2015 | 2:25 AM
PtM

Finally someone sensible!

17 Apr 2015 | 2:29 AM
Outraged_H4x0ru5

She really is the sort of wild child who completely quietens down when an authoritative figure like her dad steps in and takes charge. Good to see she's not above everything.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:32 AM
Leanna

Great expressions! Annie looks haunted, and wow, Kat's face. Has the dam finally broken? Is Kat going to lay some hard truths on her once-fiery friend? WILL WE EVER KNOW WHY TONY IS SUCH A DOUCHE? Tom, you're killing me here. You have taken me up and down the emotional spectrum with this whole webcomic and these LAST PAGES HAVE BEEN HARD. SO HARD. I have had to come to terms, not only with the fact that I am woefully addicted to a webcomic, but also that you, that webcomic's author/artist, are capable of controlling me much like an old woodworker controls a puppet he has just made. QUIT PULLING MY STRINGS, TOM. Either that, or update everyday. Just find a way to cut out sleep, without any detrimental side effects, of course; OR clone yourself. :D Ehhh? THINK ABOUT IT. Also, great job, and thanks! ^_^

17 Apr 2015 | 2:38 AM
thumb

Okay, phew. She's not having a mental breakdown, you guys. It's just mind control. Mind control, everybody. Nothing to see here.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:42 AM
Izzy

That, or the last straw, Katty?

17 Apr 2015 | 2:44 AM
Izzy

Two-minute warnin', General. A hatestorm's approaching.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:47 AM
TheDrTelos

I can see Annie's cold logic telling her that her dad knows what's good for her better than she does. I am reminded of the beginning of the comic. But she has grown beyond her old self, despite the re-introduction of her father. For better or for worse she has become a flame filling with hot emotion as she melts the past away.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:47 AM
Falquian

At last! Someone talking sense into alienated Annie. Kat's just anger is the wakeup call our heroine needs to stand against her father.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:49 AM
Beelzilla

And Kat finally gets mad at Annie when Reynardine is involved. AGH. This is such an emotional chapter. I never want this story to end

17 Apr 2015 | 2:49 AM
Kate

That's right Kat you tell her!

17 Apr 2015 | 2:50 AM
poor baby

This is so heartbreaking and cruel. It see is so mean and Annie isn't her amazing self

17 Apr 2015 | 2:52 AM
SakaSandora

I'm starting to wonder if Annie is being controlled by her father through mind control...no? Well I do understand following your parents orders but I can't help but wonder why she isn't questioning him. He left her for so long, if I was her 8 would be screaming and shouting and asking why.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:56 AM
Sorn

A big fuss?

17 Apr 2015 | 3:06 AM
Oh no

17 Apr 2015 | 3:07 AM
Sean

I didn't think it was possible for me to respect Kat more. I was wrong.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:08 AM
Sapphire

Annie :(

17 Apr 2015 | 3:08 AM
Kessler

Thank you Kat. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:10 AM
Jack

Like father, like daughter, I guess.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:11 AM
Gryphin

Poor Renard.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:11 AM
ENDG4MER

...okay, I know the sudden arrival of her father threw her for a loop, but when did Antimony become this much of a doormat?

17 Apr 2015 | 3:12 AM
JoeAconite

This is going a little deeper than feeling guilt for cheating. This is either brainwashing or she has her own control triggers being pulled by daddy dearest. You think not going to see Coyote is going to go over well? Whoo...

17 Apr 2015 | 3:13 AM
Katrina

Tom? Tom! I know you can hear me! I'll forgive anything. Keep reading no matter what emotional trauma you put me through. Just please. Please. Save Renard from the emotionally manipulative, cold hearted bastard that is Anthony Carver. Please Tom. Your fan base beg you...

17 Apr 2015 | 3:15 AM
Proper

Yeah! STOP listening to that jerk ads "father".

17 Apr 2015 | 3:19 AM
Khlovia

Annie is...bespelled? And Kat knows when anger is appropriate.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:19 AM
Siraj

Uh-oh... here comes the backlash!

17 Apr 2015 | 3:20 AM
dudewhat

Dude. what. What are you even doing.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:23 AM
Ashton

Ok. Ive put up relucantly so far, but I will rain BLOODY MURDER ON EVERYONE ON EARTH IF ANIIE GIVE RENARD TO HER DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 3:26 AM
Liminality

Her dad really did a number on her... I hope Kat can help snap her out of it but.... There is a point where you do need to tell your parents "no" when they clearly are not acting in your best interests. Yes, the cheating is bad and should be punished and made up for. But this is just becoming painful to read (not painful I'm going to stop reading, but painful as in empathizing painful).

17 Apr 2015 | 3:46 AM
smilr

Thank god Kat is showing emotion here. Maybe this will finally snap Antimony out of her idiocy.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:46 AM
Leinglo

Ok seriously, what the flub is going on here?! In the past this girl had been established as strong-willed, she has stared death quite literally in the face, fought daemons by setting herself ON FRICKIN FIRE, and now she just goes “ok” when her rat-bastard father shows up and eviscerates her life? Did he borrow some mind control crap from Lucrezia Heterodyne or something? That blank look on her face is certainly starting to support such a possibility. If that's the case, then Kat really needs to Spark up already and fix it. I don't know, this just needs to be building up to SOMETHING that makes sense or…we’re gonna complain about it!

17 Apr 2015 | 3:47 AM
Pablo

Classic abuse victim behavior - keeping her father's attention (which is all she is going to get) is more important than anything else to Annie, so sacrificing Reynard and his friendship, or anything else, including her role as Forest Medium, is but a small price to pay. The same could be said of her friendship with Kat, if Kat puts their friendship on the line.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:49 AM
LynneB

No kidding, Annie, this is a VERY VERY bad idea. Time to grow away from your father a bit more. And grow a spine to stand up to him! You could stand up to Coyote, you can stand up to this jerk. And for some things you really have to....

17 Apr 2015 | 3:49 AM
Green

Jeez! I have never seen Annie this passive.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:50 AM
Francisco

interesting how everyone has forgotten Renard tried to kill Annie once upon a time. Water under the bridge I guess.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:52 AM
IHateAnthony

WHAT THE HECK YOU JERK ANTHONY WHO COULD DO SUCH A HORRIBLE THING?!?!?!?!?

17 Apr 2015 | 3:58 AM
Nightsleeper

YEAH RENARD MADE A BIG FUSS HE KNOWS ANTHONY IS BEING MANIPULATIVE AS HELL.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:07 AM
Odious_Call

I can't believe in all this kerfuffle, I never spared a thought for how Reynardine was going to react as her friend.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:08 AM
Maven

Yes... Something ain't right, here...

17 Apr 2015 | 4:09 AM
dadler

I bet he made a fuss! What exactly are Anthony's feelings towards Reynardjne, I wonder? He may not hate him in the same way everyone else at the court did.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:10 AM
Brian

PLEASE, Kat! You know Annie would never do something like that willingly! You HAVE to help her!

17 Apr 2015 | 4:12 AM
Chaotix

That's right, Kat! You tell her! Maybe it'll knock some sense into her!

17 Apr 2015 | 4:17 AM
Northcott

Ah! And Kat finally gets mad! It just took betrayal to do the trick. I'm still voting for an Eglamore punch out of all this. Tom, you've "Mr. Worf'ed" the guy -- proven how tough everything else is by having the court's defender kicked around like a rusty tin can. He almost seems incompetent at his job. Knocking Tony head over heels would be a *wonderful* beginning to fixing that. ;)

17 Apr 2015 | 4:19 AM
mr-biv

glad this is being addressed that he's not just punishing annie by doing all of this! he has to know that, too; i'm anxious to find out exactly what anthony's game is.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:21 AM
Arse Bandit

Of course Reynard's gonna make a fuss, he's been around long enough to know what Anthony's like. He also may have said some things (truths or opinions) that Annie can't handle right now. In the entire comic I don't think I've ever heard her accept any negative opinions of her father, true or exaggerated. She can't command Kat to shut up though, so she'll have to listen to what she's saying if she wants to stay in the same room. Kat, unlike Reynard in his current state, is also perfectly capable of going to adults for advice. If all else fails, send Reynard to the forest or Jones for safekeeping, I can't imagine the Court or Anthony wanting him for nice reasons.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:33 AM
Spiritmoon

... Tom your breaking my heart....

17 Apr 2015 | 4:33 AM
Anonymous

I have no idea who this is gonna hurt, but it is gonna hurt.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:34 AM
jodie

sometimes there are things more important than friendship

17 Apr 2015 | 4:37 AM
passiveJAC

Yup, seems like a pretty normal way to react to that!

17 Apr 2015 | 4:42 AM
Noelle

GOOD GIRL KAT, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT! Fucking Annie's dad, giving her severe psychological issues and being an abusive bastard.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:43 AM
Kali's chosen

I'm with kat on this, and to those I've seen comparing antimony to an abuse victim, I agree, but actually the way she's withdrawing and letting go of everything, it almost reminds me of someone about to commit suicide. Either way, it's clear that her dad is more of an ass than we thought from what we actually saw him do in prior pages, because he would've needed to do a LOT to her before she left for court to make her react like this to him showing up

17 Apr 2015 | 4:47 AM
Persia

KAT IS MY HERO

17 Apr 2015 | 4:50 AM
voodoodaddy

This is sad... she looks dead inside

17 Apr 2015 | 4:51 AM
Bodhate

, she assumes the mantel of the monster, in this story.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:53 AM
Emi

Yeah, just giving Rey the death sentence. No big deal. God I hope we get some clear resolution because SHE'S OBV BRAINWASHED. I wonder if the spacey motif a few pages back was relevant. Thinking about the satellite.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:54 AM
Liz

Really, Annie? >:( Friends are not property. I hope Kat is having some kind of impact

17 Apr 2015 | 4:54 AM
HystericBunny88

She has a point, you know. Now. Tell Anthony to go screw himself and run away to the forest with Renard! DO IT!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:00 AM
Justafan

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, ANNIE?? Snap out of it!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:12 AM
Miss on-a-phone

Wow... Annie...must seriously have mentally dissociated from things that are more recent than when she let herself go a bit... Renard...'made a fuss'? I thought this conversation hadn't happened yet... so I'm hoping she lets him wake up or we get an immediate flashback as she describes it logically to Kat...

17 Apr 2015 | 5:13 AM
Miss on-a-phone

Maybe she could give him to Kat instead? Heck, even Eglamore. Those guys hang out...

17 Apr 2015 | 5:15 AM
saro13

Oh jeez, is Kat finally going to yell some sense into Antimony?

17 Apr 2015 | 5:16 AM
JimB

THANK you, Kat.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:16 AM
SW*

Huh, it's like he flipped a switch on her like she's a machine. Was THAT what he was doing with his fingers in her soul, pinning down her elemental self? Installing a kill switch on her independence? Or is it regular parental intimidation/abuse. PS: Her losing her support base may be more ripple effect than direct action. Kat is appropriately angry/crushed.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:20 AM
Donna

give him to Kat

17 Apr 2015 | 5:20 AM
Arthur K

Is it just me, or is there something kind of mind-controllish going on with Annie and pops? Intense disorientation, behavior that's way more docile than usual, etc. Also, the close-up of James' eyes seemed kind of suggestive.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:23 AM
WappleIsAWord

I would say inb4 "A-bloo-bloo-bloo, I want to punch that jerk" but it's been being said repeatedly on every page lately by people who take fiction seriously.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:24 AM
Implord

Darn, Annie, could you, for once, not simply let things happen to you? DO SOMETHING! YOUR FRIENDS SUFFER!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:24 AM
MonsterFan

Dammed Any´s complet control. Kat and Renard seursly neet to talke som energy and fier balk into Any!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:26 AM
Denning

Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if Annie's actually herself. Could she have been cut off from her fiery nature somehow? Put back in the box that she'd been growing out of?

17 Apr 2015 | 5:28 AM
Min Tea

You tell 'er Kat!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:29 AM
sb

The degree in which Annie's appearance has been infantilized in the art is brilliant. Truly shows the degree of her beatdown, "deactivated" state. "A big fuss"? As far as Renard is concerned, is there ANYTHING in this world more akin to Hell than being put in thrall to Anthony "Motherfucker" Carver?

17 Apr 2015 | 5:38 AM
jsc

Terrible: the last time the Court had Renard, they drove a spike through his leg and chained him to the floor. Not just terrible, but frickin' DANGEROUS: You do not want Renard's kind of power in the hands of Mr. Dickhead and the Court.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:49 AM
Zane

Time bomb ticking? O why is this only 3 days a week? Such torture to see what comes next!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:51 AM
randomdaisy

yes, Annie is doing a terrible thing here, but remember that she's doing so under the influence of her manipulative and demanding father. a part of her feels like she has no choice but to give up Renard, or perhaps she's even convinced this is the best option for everyone. that's how abuse works, so please remember that before deeming Annie a horrible person.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:52 AM
Sayo

She looks so...blank. Blank like she used to when she first joined the Court. Anthony, I will unman you with a pair of rusty pliers for what you've done to this girl.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:57 AM
Grum

This is uncharacteristic of her and I am quickly loosing interest in this thread.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:02 AM
M

Bitch.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:02 AM
NoblestRomana

Too Far, Annie, too far.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:03 AM
Bolshoi

I feel so bad for Annie. Some serious psychological road blocks when it comes to her father.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:05 AM
Pol

This is not right. Something must give.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:06 AM
Muddy

Kat you need to land a hand upside that girl's head now, you hear. She's sleepwalking to disaster!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:10 AM
TheWiggleKing

Repeating Year Nine? I can deal with. Doing this to Renard? Not so much.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:12 AM
Eisbaer Borealis

Yeah, that was the one thing I was NOT okay with. I knew everything was going to suck, but I was really, REALLY hoping Annie would send Reynard into the forest. You can't trust Mr. Carver to not try to kill him or something.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:13 AM
Nemo

Everyone is getting soooo rekt

17 Apr 2015 | 6:14 AM
Dmitri

rebel against your father and become " Antimony Stibnite"! leave your father on a ditch!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:15 AM
Michel

Annie really need a reality shower @_@

17 Apr 2015 | 6:21 AM
awc

This is where Kat surprises herself and breaks out with some of her mother's empathic etheric abilities, and realizes Annie is not under her own control. (Please!)

17 Apr 2015 | 6:22 AM
phaelon

hmm, something doesn't smell right here. I bet she freed him already.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:22 AM
Khoshekh

RENAAAARD!!! KAAATT!!! I'M CRYING!! But also I'm so concerned for Annie! Is it really that easy to just revert to her old self when her dad comes around and is a jerk?? She made so much progress before! And he can't even see it!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:24 AM
ilgkc

so maybe this is all *Kat's* nightmare?

17 Apr 2015 | 6:28 AM
rose

Ok, this has definitely got to be a dream. Cause there is NO WAY IN HELL ANNIE WOULD GIVE REYNARDINE TO HER SORRY EXCUSE OF A FATHER!!!!!! NO.FREAKING.WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:33 AM
LA Cunningham

That's right Kat! You tell Annie!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:34 AM
Ghan

Kat is the worst friend. Annie doesn't need people freaking out, she needs someone calm and rational to counter dad's calm rationality. All I see out of Kat is EMOTION EXPLOSION.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:35 AM
Lawliet

Wow ... Can we please come to the part where she fights back? And quickly? I'm not sure how long I can take this.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:40 AM
piq

Which is the "real" Annie & which the facade? Are we really our roots, or are we really our later-life blossoms?

17 Apr 2015 | 6:43 AM
Zaorish

Yes, kat! Grab Renard and run away and hide him somewhere! This will trigger the great annie/kat divide that will end with...well you know :-)

17 Apr 2015 | 6:44 AM
Entropy

Finally! Someone's talking sense! You tell her, Kat!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:46 AM
Urusai Neko

Looks like a fight coming up! @Alleline: I thank you for the comment, and for putting things in perspective. @Inty: I didn't mean to suggest you died, only that something similar happened to you a couple of years back, and after that, your name disappeared from the comments. Sorry!

17 Apr 2015 | 6:52 AM
Mr.CarverIsAJerk

I really hope that Annie gives Renard to Kat. She can't really be punished more than she already is, and there is no way that Kat would ever give Renard to somebody else.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:56 AM
drakewithout

cue robot upriseing

17 Apr 2015 | 7:05 AM
Freemage

Go, Kat, Go! Seriously, while I might get Annie just taking the abuse (and yes, it has been verbal abuse) from her father on most of the other points, giving Renard away is just... ugh.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:06 AM
TerraHertz

Possessed eyes are possessed. That *hole has done more to her than just take everything from her that she values. Google 'clear eyes mind control'

17 Apr 2015 | 7:13 AM
Macaroon

I notice Annie's old speech patterns are coming back too...

17 Apr 2015 | 7:18 AM
Epsil

Where's the mark.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:28 AM
Mary

Right you are, Kat. Everything else is bad but potentially tolerable. But allowing that to happen to Reynardine is WRONG. And points strongly to Antimony not being in control of herself.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:35 AM
jb

you tell 'er, kat! don't let her kneel to that old bastard that easy

17 Apr 2015 | 7:40 AM
Reed

I think we all know that it isn't the magic that's been keeping Renard in check. There's no way buttface will be able to keep control of him for long.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:41 AM
RobF

now Kat has to kick the asses of TWO Carvers.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:42 AM
mikey

i hope this is all leading up to eglamore kicking some ass

17 Apr 2015 | 7:43 AM
Cheue

Slap her shit Kat

17 Apr 2015 | 7:44 AM
R03

Jeeze, brainwashed by parental abuse.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:46 AM
Auren

Annie's going a little too far with listening to her father. She hasn't given Renard an order like that in chapters. I don't know if he'll be angry or sad.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:50 AM
Hariman

Seriously, Antimony, WAKE UP. Your Father is an ass who left you abandoned for all of your life until now. He doesn't deserve the respect you're giving him.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:53 AM
gravejoke

this is the beginning of the end for Kat and Annie...*big sigh*

17 Apr 2015 | 7:54 AM
Penumbra

PLEASE tell me that Renard has safely switched out to another body. I can't. I can't. Kat. Renard. Carver, you monster.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:54 AM
Luna

I really wish I knew someone else who read this comic...so they could cry with me!

17 Apr 2015 | 7:55 AM
David

Is she under some mind control? I hope she is under mind control. Please let her be under mind control.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:57 AM
SomeCallMeTim

I don't think this part is likely to work out very well, actually. Pity Hetty isn't with us anymore. She'd have some good advice, I'm sure.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:05 AM
Lunaleaf

KAT GETS IT. THANK YOU KAT.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:08 AM
Concerned Mother

Is Annie brainwashed or something. Cause she is acting awfully unconcerned toward something she would usually fight over.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:12 AM
Geoffrey

Y'know, Annie seems kind of emotionally blank right now, just like she did at the beginning of this story--reminds me of someone else we just recently met... The apple falls close. Talk sense into her, Kat!

17 Apr 2015 | 8:16 AM
Casey the Aec

Annie, annie, I understand that you are loyal to your father, and your love and desire for love blinds you to much. It is good for you to take this opportunity to address some of your faults, such as your cheating, but the relationships you've made with the forest, with Renard, these are a vital part of you. Do not let your father isolate you so that he may control you so completely. And if that does not encourage you to keep Renard as this, please consider this. You do not know your fathers motives, nor do you trust the Court. Renard could be made to do horrible things or subjected to cruel experiments. However you may imagine it, allowing Renard to fall into the hands of the Court will not end well. Sigh. She will not listen.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:17 AM
Kirya

I look forward to about 100 scenes from now when Reynard has a certain new teacher in his teeth.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:22 AM
Razor

A 'friend' who tried to kill Annie once upon a time, but yeah, in recent years, a friend.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:23 AM
John Lee

Never turn on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:31 AM
John Lee

Never turn on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:31 AM
John Lee

Never turn on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:32 AM
John Lee

Never turn on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:32 AM
John Lee

Never turn on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:32 AM
John Lee

Never turn your back on true friends, never.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:32 AM
MK

Well, her father is not a very nice person.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:34 AM
Observer

"...a big fuss..."???? I really hope Kat can get through to Antimony...

17 Apr 2015 | 8:41 AM
Angie

I'm disappointed in the people who think Annie should be standing up to her dad. She's a 14-15 (I already forget what year they are) year old girl, who has a very complicating relationship with her father to begin with. There's that respect out of fear, but also longing to be given any kind of approval by him. It's a situation that does not allow someone to see when they're being mistreated by this person. It's so easy to say "ANNIE KICK HIS ASS" but you're not seeing it from her perspective.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:46 AM
Reevke

I notice Anne has gone back to showing no emotions.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:47 AM
Ali

Finally! Someone's fighting back!

17 Apr 2015 | 8:49 AM
Bug

And this is (I hope) the point where Annie realises that this is about more than her. So often this is the point at which people realise someone else's behaviour is, while possibly well intentioned, not okay. (Also, if Anthony had BEEN THERE FOR HIS DAUGHTER from the beginning it is entirely possible Annie wouldn't have struggled as much as she had, and would have had somebody to you know, help her learn.)

17 Apr 2015 | 8:50 AM
fanciful owl

Good job, Tom! I can feel Kat's emotions!!! Such a big heart this little lady has. Reminds me much of myself!

17 Apr 2015 | 8:53 AM
Lightning_Roller

Wow...just, wow.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:08 AM
Ian

It will be interesting to see how this particular matter proceeds... And will Coyote have anything to say about Renard in the custody of Carver?

17 Apr 2015 | 9:20 AM
Zeed214

Man..I realized Annie had issues since I first started this comic, but her father issues are crazy. Here's hoping Kat can snap her out of her detachment.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:25 AM
NotBoxbot

Cmon Renard dont give yourself to dis fool you can wreck his face in seconds >:O

17 Apr 2015 | 9:26 AM
Aboo

Kat needs to immediately steal Reynard and take him to the Forest.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:27 AM
Monday

Kat: Tellin' it like it is.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:30 AM
Kamil

Sure, reduce a guy who saves your life (even though he wanted to kill you in the first place) in to a puppet and hand him over to your always absent dad. That's what friends do.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:33 AM
Delirium

I'm sure someone covered this earlier, but just in case... Anthony Carver is doing everything he can to turn his daughter back into the little girl he left at the hospital. Same haircut. Same dress. Same childlike obedience. I think it hurts him to see her looking and acting so like Surma? It's not an excuse, but it might explain. And, oh yeah, it's working. He's turned Annie into a child who can't question. It was always interesting to me that rather than walk Shadow 2 across the bridge herself, Antimony chose to build a walking robot. But then, that wasn't technically against the rules. Annie didn't really start breaking rules until later. Now here she is again, torn but obedient.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:38 AM
Ama

Finally.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:40 AM
Aline1

Okay, I am beginning to wonder if this whole thing is Kat's nightmare and if Zimmy is going to show up next... I hope

17 Apr 2015 | 9:52 AM
Elereth

Annie couldn't even look at her when saying at, and the look on her face in the last panel. It's as if consideration of the full repercussions of her actions had been sidelined in compliance with her father's demands.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:55 AM
Socordya

Annie is so casual about it... I hope Renard will find it in him to forgive her, but I would have a hard time.

17 Apr 2015 | 9:59 AM
OneReader

What is up with Annie? Brainwashing comes in many forms, I suppose. Abusive relationships tend to have a flavor of it.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:00 AM
Shatbat

Ok. I thought Annie had more of a spine on her, especially after everything that has happened. Either her father did something to her mind, or... shame on her.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:03 AM
Sheis14

See Angie's comment, guys... she lost her mother at age 11 and was sent to live in Gunnerkrigg Court TWO WEEKS LATER by a father who has very little concept of human connection. THE ENTIRE TIME he was gone, she defended him, because he was ALL SHE HAD LEFT. When someone has something like this happen to her, they will have a very hard time trusting that ANYTHING is permanent. Annie is very much aware she is the CAUSE of her MOTHER'S DEATH. Even Kat got mad at her and ignored her for a bit (just a couple of months after Annie found this out). All of the things Annie has gone through would take YEARS for anyone to process. Now her father is back and treating her more coldly than ever, and Annie feels in her deepest heart that's her fault too. She's TERRIFIED and in EMOTIONAL SHOCK. And a lot of you people here are jerks.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:04 AM
C

Yep. Anthony is officially a total dick. This is not Annie here because Annie isn't a meek, obedient little girl devoid of emotion. She's a fire elemental who can intimidate powerful people and creatures and is fiercely independent. Even if this was some kind emotional abuse Annie would still have some spark in her. She's talking like Anthony. 10 bucks on mind control. Also, the whole "give me Reynardine" thing smells like fish. Because he is bound to Annie he cannot harm her. Trying to transfer this bond could set him free, putting EVERYONE in danger. Anthony isn't thinking logically. Methinks he wants power and will stop at nothing to get it. Either that or this isn't Anthony... This kinda sounds like something Coyote would scheme up in order to get Reynard back.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:04 AM
rickb460

Been waiting for the Kat explosion. (FIRE IN THE HOLE!)

17 Apr 2015 | 10:23 AM
Gwen

Kat's got her priorities straight here. She's saddened by the cheating (which was mostly Annie hurting herself), but angry when Annie's doing harm to someone else. Great friends support us when we need it but call us on it when we're out of line.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:28 AM
Muzzie

So... if Kat can't get her to give ownership to cat (or at least PRETEND to give Kat ownership) I would hope Kat will take Renard. I don't know if she knows that that would void his imprisonment or not? I assume she does. But yeah, I doubt coyote will like being told he can't play with his fire head girl toy. I mean.... imagine that conversation. "Coyote, we're taking away fire head girl. So... yeah. No medium for you?" But anyway, Kat's last line is right in the feels. Like. Ouch.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:31 AM
Robin

Ok, I can only take a few more pages of this! Dear god why is this happening?! Who's gonna stop it? What the actual f(*^!!!!

17 Apr 2015 | 10:32 AM
marithlizard

I'm so glad Kat has her head on straight and will act to protect Renard. Also, Eglamore and Renard are now friends, a change I suspect Anthony doesn't know about. It will be okay. I'll just keep repeating that to myself till Monday.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:33 AM
Wool

Somehow I don't think Annie thinks that her father would harm Renard. I hope Kat saves the day...

17 Apr 2015 | 10:36 AM
Phantomrenegade

I am loathe to comment on story and personalities but i'm having a real hard time believing that any real person would take all this crap lying down, especially from a father as awful as Anthony, there better be some brainwashing magic afoot.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:41 AM
Sparky

Poor Annie. She is still floating in the space.... Kat, We have a problem.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:45 AM
Saru

It's no use!

17 Apr 2015 | 10:49 AM
Daneru

Wow. Just...wow. I'm sorry to say that after several years, I just don't enjoy this comic any more. I don't enjoy reading stories that leave me feeling so angry and betrayed. I have no problems with Annie repeating a year if she was cheating. No problem at all. But to have a man that was absent so long be so cold and callous to his only offspring isn't something I enjoy. I can't call him her father or dad, as he's only acting like a sperm donor.

17 Apr 2015 | 10:53 AM
Jules

How can you throw away a friend just like that?

17 Apr 2015 | 11:00 AM
Gwen

Also, for those reminding us that Reynard has murdered, I think it's fair to say he's done his time. Murderers have rights - to be treated humanely during their captivity and, except in the most exceptional cases, eventually be reviewed for parole. Reynard was given neither of these. He was kept in a single room, with a shackle piercing ALL THE WAY THROUGH his legs for at least a decade. Remember what he said when he met Antimony? "It's been so long since I saw the stars." If he were in a normal British prison, he would have had the right to be outside a minimum of 30 minutes per day. His attempt to take Antimony's body were the actions of a desperate person who had been tortured, literally, for years. I think he's paid enough for his crime, and his actions since entering Antimony's wolf toy have proved time and time again that he's repentant and working to be a good person(fox deity).

17 Apr 2015 | 11:00 AM
wlewisiii

I am getting a bad vibe that only Coyote will be able to save this situation. And that will be "Not Good" for any of Kat, Annie, Reynard or, even, Anthony.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:08 AM
Joe

Dude managed to turn off his daughter's brain. Way to go, Dad-of-the-Year. What a d1ck.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:08 AM
poptartdemon

I have a LOT of feelings about this, but deeper down is this: Anthony very clearly has an idea of how Annie should be. And when, out of nowhere, after being gone from her and all the other things we've totally covered, he returns to see that she is very much NOT that person, what does he do? He removes the problem parts. By repeating the year, she's isolated from her friends (not to mention losing the new freedom she has.) By removing Renard, he's isolating her further, and starts taking her power. And he forbids her from the forest and such too, further isolating her and minimizing her power. He's not just brainwashing her -- he's completely breaking her down.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:13 AM
BlueCanary

I think what's happening to Renard right here hurts even worse when I consider that chapter we spent with him and Hetty. Reynardine loves Annie, and is way more of a father to her than Anthony has ever been. We've seen what (even innocent and unaware) ownership can do to a spirit's mind, and I don't trust Anthony to be innocent when it comes to owning Reynardine. In fact, considering Anthony had spent a good portion of his life trying to save Surma, I worry for Renard quite a bit under the control of Anthony. Renard is able to take bodies at will, transferring his essence into another's body. In a similar manner, Surma's fire transferred into Antimony, albeit much more slowly. I don't know if there is actually a link to explore there, but if anyone would be willing to experiment with such a thing, it would be Anthony. Ogod, my feels. This is just... T-T I can't even.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:18 AM
Evil Fairy

*Thank* you Kat! I can't really blame Annie for going all weird as she has, but it's high time somebody gave her a quick slap to the face and told her to get her spine back!

17 Apr 2015 | 11:22 AM
LordCirce

Take a good long look. This, right here, is the face of abuse. Annie's genetic donor has beaten her down to the point where she thinks she deserves whatever is done to her. This is wrong. It doesn't matter what his justification is, he is an abuser, an animal, and deserves to be put down as such.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:28 AM
Roanoke

there should be a immortals amv for this comic

17 Apr 2015 | 11:33 AM
Alex

Y'know, I had always disliked (not hated, mind you) Annie from the beginning, and I always felt like I was the minority on this. But now I can be rest assured that my disdain is justified. Fuck you, you spineless father-pining backstabbing unemotive lamppost. (Disclaimer: Just in case Annie does have a really, really good reason for complying, then kudos to you, Tom, for getting your readers this invested in fictional characters from a web comic.)

17 Apr 2015 | 11:38 AM
Will

Ah, Tom has apparently evolved to the point where he's sustained by the tears of his long time fans. :)

17 Apr 2015 | 11:42 AM
Nojh

Huh. Annie in the third panel reminds me quite a bit of Annie from the beginning of the comic. I wonder why.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:42 AM
Stampers Saverem

Annie--Either EXPLAIN yourself, PDQ, or-- FACE THE WRATH OF 'KAT!

17 Apr 2015 | 11:43 AM
Will

To be blunt, I have NEVER EVER EVER trusted Renard. So I'm not sure I feel as bad about this as I should.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:43 AM
thesethreecomics

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1003 http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1004 http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1005 Please ease up on Annie and be patient with Tom, guys. I understand the anger; this storyline has triggered me in several ways. But Annie was effectively abandoned (death of a parent can feel that way) by both her parents and later found out she was the cause of her mother leaving. Right now she's in shock and terrified of causing her father to leave. Emotional shock does funny things to people, like rendering them passive. This usually does fade, but sometimes it takes a while when other complicating factors come into play, like having no family whatsoever except a dead mother and a coldly neglectful father.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:47 AM
Kitten

I think Annie is trying to make up for the fact that she was born. If she hadn't been born, Surma would still be alive. She needs to remember what Ysengrim said: "You did not take Surma's life, she gave it to you. A gift beyond possession. A gift beyond knowing."

17 Apr 2015 | 11:48 AM
sjasogun

Hit her Kat. Do it. Smack some sense into her. And then hit Tony too for good measure. Hell, hit him another time, regards from me.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:49 AM
Crumplepunch

I predict that there will be serious consequences to this falling out vis-a-vis an army of fanatical robots.

17 Apr 2015 | 11:56 AM
Not on the Floor

Seriously Annie, that's downright evil!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:10 PM
Carolyn

Oooooh, I just had a thought. Didn't Eglamore say early on that if he tried to take Rey away from Annie it would nullify the control on him and set him free? So if Kat tries to do the same here and forcibly take Rey from Annie by running out of the room with him or something, would that do the same thing? Rey would be free and safe from whatever Anthony wants him for. If that's the case, RUN, KAT! GRAB REY AND RUN LIKE THE WIND!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:11 PM
CharlieV.

Seriously!! You can't just shut him down and give him away like he's nothing but property!!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:12 PM
hello

Just a friendly reminder that Ren is a murderer

17 Apr 2015 | 12:19 PM
blackmushroom555

yeah annie! how could you!! I loved Reynard!! T^T

17 Apr 2015 | 12:19 PM
EEEEEEEEEEE

Arianne... isn't that torture?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:26 PM
TheClumzyVixen

Okay, no, Annie. Just because you're going to lie down and be a goddamn doormat, doesn't mean you should infringe on your friends' rights in the process. Renard is CLEARLY unwilling to go through with this, and you ought to have some respect for that, at the very least. Chances are likely that Anthony's demand will come at Renard's expense, and if any harm befalls him it will all be on you for letting this happen.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:35 PM
Arianne

I'm gonna add something, It's smart because Reynard can be the ears for Annie. He can also observe her Dad which means He can learn about Mr. Carver outside of his Surma Stealer status and understand him better or if you're feeling cynical He can find out things that'll make him conclude to what he already confirmed about Mr. Carver , Reynard can manage to stay a Stuff plushy for a year . He'll be a stiff plushy that's harmless. Also, I think that those who want someone from the forest to harm Mr. Carver are only saying this because they're mad at him. IF someone from the forest actually in the comic harmed Mr. Carver than it'll do two things: One confirm what the Court believe or know about the forest and how untrustworthy and dangerous it is and two, It'll make Annie sad because her father was harmed by someone/something She cares for and trust .

17 Apr 2015 | 12:37 PM
Cupcakefaerie

Hmmmm. If she commanded Reynardine to "just stay as a doll until I can figure out what to do", she would be saving him and pacifying her father at the same time. Some of you are forgetting that she DID cheat- that is usually means for expulsion. She's lucky her dad talked them in to letting her stay, even if it means repeating a year. Annie IS exhibiting signs of psycological conditioning, but even my own parents (whom I adore NOW but chafed at THEN) wouldn't let me wear make up until I was older. All in all this a an incredible story with amazing artwork that tugs at heartstrings like a talented harpist. Thank you Mr. Sidell.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:38 PM
Lexible

Kat is on the money: Annie is becomming a douche, like her dad. Seriously: selling out a friend?!

17 Apr 2015 | 12:42 PM
Gill

The amount of victim blaming going on here is absolutely disgusting.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:50 PM
Theory Bot

Her father has suppressed the fire spirit within her somehow.

17 Apr 2015 | 12:51 PM
hannah

Annie's displaying a little of the coldness inspired by doing things to please an austere authority figure ... I'd hope Kat can wake her up a little, but I'd guess she's going to abide by her father's decree and hurt for it later when she realises what she's done. What's fiction without a little drama, anyway?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:52 PM
Jenne

Something is really, really wrong with this whole scenario. Where's Zimmy when you need her?

17 Apr 2015 | 12:54 PM
Eggle

Guys, no, it's not a good idea for Kat to knock any sense in Annie. Tony's been obviously emotionally abusing Annie for years and speaking as someone who's been in a similar position, it's nigh impossible to do anything but be small. Annie is acting in a way any abuse victim would act.

17 Apr 2015 | 1:17 PM
bob

GUKYJDGYKTU764UHDGFHUKTTEDGJHKGLUTYTDGKHGLUYTSJFGCVHLGFDFHDFH'UYITRYETJSGKV.J;IUP7OETKDG,HV.,HCGXMDFSJDKRIOT;YUYI;TULFKDGMCHV,JGH;IYTRYEKTDGHKFGLUTRYFKDGCHVJGLTYRFHKJ Why tom?!?!?!?!?!?

17 Apr 2015 | 1:19 PM
Lame

And there's the other shoe. I knew that would not end well, how do you think Kat's going to react to the forest thing?

17 Apr 2015 | 1:28 PM
Kate

#teamkat

17 Apr 2015 | 1:43 PM
Litty

Kat represents me!

17 Apr 2015 | 1:45 PM
oddodddodo

Is this how Anthony persuaded Surma to marry him -- by mind control?

17 Apr 2015 | 1:52 PM
Haragar

Anthony Carver Must Die. I should make that into a movie...

17 Apr 2015 | 1:56 PM
oh hai

Interesting how Kat and Annie have kind of switched roles...

17 Apr 2015 | 2:03 PM
Coryn02

Annie this has gone far enough! TAKE THAT FOX TO THE DAMN WOODS RIGHT NOW, KAT! It's better that way, nobody deserves to be in the position Renard is in.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:06 PM
Peter

I AM PRETTY SURE IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!! TOM STOP DOING THIS TO YOUR POOR CHARACTERS AND YOUR POOR READERS. I think the worst thing about this all is that Tom is going to try and make us like anthony at some point cuz thats what he does. Oh dragon demon that trys to kill a little girl? adorable stuffed animal. Demon girl that ur pretty sure eats souls for breakfest? oh thats zimmyzims and she's actually pretty cool. Rabid Wolf that wants to kill every human? he's surprisingly good at cuddling, but DAMN IT I DON'T WANT TO LIKE ANTHONY

17 Apr 2015 | 2:12 PM
Alex

Oh Jesus, Tom. PLEASE don't have Kat & Annie fight:(

17 Apr 2015 | 2:28 PM
Microbru

Well, I'm with Annie here. Not in her actions, goodness gravy, but in her motivations. "I am a bad girl. If I don't do everything Daddy wants, he will leave me again." She may be acting like a zithead here, but she's got a heavy mental trip laid on her by her background and by her profanity-not-sufficient dad.

17 Apr 2015 | 2:28 PM
Metzen

Dammit Tom, you better be going somewhere with this! Don't you make me cry!

17 Apr 2015 | 2:45 PM
Talvi Noita

17 Apr 2015 | 3:01 PM
caribouchat

mmm... from the first, Annie has been as unemotional as Anthony, hasn't she? Why wonder about it now? She *could* have a plan for Reynardine... or not... wait and see...

17 Apr 2015 | 3:08 PM
Roxie

Something that's been bothering me since this story arc started.. hasn't Annie been cheating since year 8? p=363 of the comic, she was cheating off Kat's physics answers. IF Anthony really wanted to punish her for cheating, he'd make her repeat year 8 as well, not just year 9. So the cheating thing is bs and I don't buy it one bit.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:14 PM
Arthur K

Hm. Maybe if Anthony's influence/brainwashing/whatever is really a thing, and it is in part to keep her fire in check, then the use of water when she washed her face is a part of that thing? Certainly seems to be when it really took hold.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:19 PM
alienated

Life's too short for bad wine. After 50 great chapters, I realize this is no longer entertaining. Time to move on.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:21 PM
Cynder

Kat, once again getting to the heart of the matter.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:22 PM
Perlite

Annie is probably gonna say, "No, it's my property and daddy knows best" or something. SNAP OUT OF IT ANNIE! Friends aren't something you can pass around like Yugioh cards! Is this Kat's nightmare? WHAT'S GOING ON?

17 Apr 2015 | 3:25 PM
Echon

Kat should be upset over Reynard. I hope Kat realizes that Annie is completely helpless against her father and go get even angrier at Mr. Carver.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:28 PM
Pablo

I'm wondering if what Annie needs is a trip back to the tree (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=87), and the conversation she had with Kat about her mother and father. That would fit with the title of the chapter as well. If that doesn't work, then I suspect that the way out of this is that Annie will lose control of Reynard as soon as she gives control to her father, and that Reynard will possess her father at that point, as foreshadowed here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=161. It would be interesting to see if Reynard can pull off possessing Anthony without alerting the Court, with the result that "Anthony" with Reynard in control will act as more of a guiding father figure than the original version.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:35 PM
Glass eyed Man

Ysengrin is gonna have something to say about this. If Coyote's theory got to him, this will get to him. Speaking of which coyote probably wont agree either... and we already know Reynardine doesn't approve. First day pack and Annie's dad has already pissed off 2 semi-god like entitys one actual god like entity and of course, Mr.Eglamore.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:40 PM
December

It's so so sad how Annie can't even see things for what they are.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:41 PM
PartVI

I actually want to see her father come to harm over this. I'm awful, I know, but dammit Tom you've written a very easy to hate character here. Worse than Boxbot. WORSE.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:46 PM
Pusteroyg

To all the people who say "You guys just don't see it from her point of view, she's a terrified kid who can't stand up to her father!" Her daddy issues aren't sufficient to explain this level of being a doormat. If Anthony had some redeeming qualities besides "Gets shit done, possibly, somewhere", then MAYBE I could see why she's so desperate to please him, but why the hell does she want to please him now? He's been ignoring her for years while she runs around a magic industrial complex bantering with ghosts and gods. I think she should've developed at least some semblence of a spine considering all the character development she's had, EVEN toward her father. I'm guessing he has some kind of epic-level powers that would make anybody reluctant to cross him? Because he probably wouldn't risk pissing off THE Coyote if he was just normal or weakly powered.

17 Apr 2015 | 3:47 PM
Mike

This chapter is a very powerful statement about how domestic abuse works. Step-by-step Anthony isolated Annie and broke down his daughter's will using her need for him and her guilt about her mother. He started small (with the makeup and hair) and moved on, establishing the pattern as a habit. But it also points out vividly that if Anthony treating Reynard as property is wrong, then what has Annie been doing all this time too?

17 Apr 2015 | 3:54 PM
pcdruid

Unless Annie is lying and freed Reynard, leaving behind just the doll, she can now give to her father? I wish this could be the case...

17 Apr 2015 | 3:57 PM
Kile

Aw jeez, poor Reynard. Even under her fathers thrall Antimony knows she's wronged him. She can barely maintain eye contact.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:06 PM
mambling

Re-enslavement? Are you kidding? Renard is effectively Antimony's slave, to the point where he literally has to do whatever she wants, and the fact she treats him mostly-nicely is totally irrelevant to the morality thereof. Moreover, he's a serial killer who's brutally murdered at least three people. So why should I be rooting for him to remain the property of a fourteen year old child?

17 Apr 2015 | 4:08 PM
mambling

And all the people writing about 'mind control' or 'magic' are just ridiculous. Please. You think children have to be mind controlled to react this way to the sudden reappearance of a long-absent parent?

17 Apr 2015 | 4:10 PM
Mishyana

The hell, something else is going on here. Annie is acting very zombie-ish.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:15 PM
Jovian

I'm pretty mad at everyone thinking this HAS to be mind control. This is exactly what emotional abuse does to people. Even if you're fiery and a bit rebellious, you can shrink in the face of someone who controls your life and controls it hard. Annie's just a kid and she has believed, the whole entire comic, that her dad knows what's best for her. She's not going to object to him anytime soon. It's not mind control, but just the way she knows how to act around him when he gives her orders.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:15 PM
Boxbot

boxbot does not approve but no one approves of boxbot

17 Apr 2015 | 4:23 PM
sheis14

Where's Annie's necklace? Has Anthony taken that too? Her necklace and the wolf toy Renard inhabits are the only things she has left from her mother. I'm kind of hoping Renard finds a way to break the ownership binding thru Annie being forced to give the wolf plush to her dad. Who, regardless of having his daughter's necklace, will never be her. Poetic justice would be Renard possessing Anthony's body. Not one to wish for the death of anyone, but dammit, this is hard to watch.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:40 PM
Ali

@AmbitiousHobo - Reynard murdered one person, Daniel. This was unintentional, and he carries that guilt with him still. He killed Sivo in a fair fight, and though he had once tried to kill Annie, he is filled with shame over it and has since protected Annie, even risking his own life to do so. Remember when he ran to protect her from Ysengrin's attack when Ysengrin and Coyote first went to the court? And then there was the time he rescued Annie and all of her friends from a psychotic robot boat. He made several mistakes in the past, but to say that he has killed "with an honest smile on his face several times in order to get what he wants" is unfair to him. And it's unfair of Annie's father to demand that she give him Reynard. Reynard, Kat, Kat's parents, Coyote... the very people who Anthony is keeping Annie from seeing have all protected and supported her more than her father has.

17 Apr 2015 | 4:47 PM
Thatomeguy

Please fix everything, siddel.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:03 PM
Deca

The way Renard is forced to stay a doll, not speak up or act out his frustrations at Annie's decisions is actually very poetic. It mirrors how Annie is feeling now I bet that her dad is forcing her to make decisions.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:06 PM
Grah

Tom, I was OK with all your other shenanigans, but right now, I want to punch you. Congratulations.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:06 PM
Attilathepbnun

Maybe *this* will wake Annie up, make her realize she's NOT her father's SLAVE or possession and he has NO RIGHT to treat her as such and try to make her hurt her friends! For in that *monster*'s hands, Reynard most certainly WILL be hurt ....

17 Apr 2015 | 5:14 PM
Emily

On the bright side I'm rereading all of the other chapters a lot just to remind me that there are happy times too :(

17 Apr 2015 | 5:24 PM
Samantha

Oh yea, he made a big fuss about being handed to some psycho. So I told him the be still and shut up. Now he's harmless. Annie's kinda creepy.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:26 PM
Sey Kitty

I am stunned at Annie, and growing worried. Whatever hold her dad has on her is so fundamentally deep she can't do anything against it. It's almost coming across as an abuse. Then again, he was 'gone' for a long time, which could be read as abandonment. Annie doing everything he says to the letter is not overly surprising, but it still hurts. Here is powerful, spiritual, kind Annie who has had her flame snuffed and doesn't seem to see how warped it is making her and how much her father is demanding.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:38 PM
Kaine

Wait, wait, hold the phone! She said, "When I told him I am to give him to my father." Not, "When I told him I am GOING to give him to my father." And he was packed! I don't think she was actually going to do it!

17 Apr 2015 | 5:41 PM
artificer-urza

Annie seems so... dead emotionally. Like she was when the comic first started.

17 Apr 2015 | 5:45 PM
Anonymoose

I really want Ysengrin to show up and lay down the whoop-ass on Anthony. Seriously though, I love the father-daughter relationship we've seen developing with him and Annie, and Ysengrin knows from the inside what it's like to be mentally manipulated by someone you love. He knows. Bonus if Eglamore helps. Because protecting Annie is the one thing Eglamore and Ysengrin would agree on, and you know it. AHHHHH my heart this story arc is killing it

17 Apr 2015 | 6:30 PM
Stephanie

God, I still sympathize with Annie. I mean, it's her dad. She's been emotionally neglected or abused by him for most of her life. Of course the soul's been sucked out of her, of course she won't disobey her dad. She's a teenager, and he's been emotionally destroying her since Surma died.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:44 PM
RJFlorida

So anyway, I'll check back in every few weeks to see if the insanity has stopped and she has fireballed her dad. This isn't fun anymore.

17 Apr 2015 | 6:46 PM
Metabyte

Sooo...in Chap 38, there WAS some sort of spell that was directly tapping into Annie's fire elemental nature, down to her heart. And it was pretty strongly inferred that Carver Sr. was the source. Just because Zimmy broke it doesn't mean it didn't have an effect. Maybe we're seeing that effect now. Aside from the fact that all this victim blaming is unsettling my stomach, maybe some Annie-haters should re-read that chapter and remember that something fishy was afoot with Annie's dad well before now. And I wonder if he might have lost his hand due to a broken spell backlash...

17 Apr 2015 | 7:00 PM
Jordan

Oh boy... THIS might be trouble. Kat, please don't judge Annie too harshly, but don't let her get away with this crap either.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:11 PM
Jordan

I imagine the only reason Anthony hasn't already received a well-deserved beating from Eglamore is because of their mutual friendship with Donnie.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:40 PM
Kats

This chapter is hurting my heart.

17 Apr 2015 | 7:49 PM
painted-wren

There's still hope! Somebody go save Renard and then Annie!!! D:

17 Apr 2015 | 7:59 PM
Colin

Oh man, Annie's reverted to her original emotionless demeanor from the first few chapters. Guess that's Dad's influence....

17 Apr 2015 | 8:05 PM
Hope

It seems that Anthony Carver wants to keep her out of danger. When she was born, Surma (I hope I spelled that right) lost her life as Annie became an elemental. I think Anthony is keeping her from having the same happen to his daughter. Since when can a minor child go against a parent, even if the parent is wrong, as long as there is no physical harm?

17 Apr 2015 | 8:13 PM
Lloranna

Seriously where is Jones? We need her.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:19 PM
the_ignored

Kat needs to grab Reynard and run to either Kimmie, Eglamore, or Coyote fast and find out what's going on. I believe that "Amaroq" at 17 Apr 2015 | 12:16 AM has the right of things here. Something has been done to Annie by her father. Wonder if that is what killed her mother, having her spirit "quenched" like that?

17 Apr 2015 | 8:24 PM
Cora

So many people here who obviously had good parents. You've never had to be the broken girl, so you don't understand the broken girl. You don't know how your parents can take it all away from you with just a few, calculated and horrifying words that seem like nothing to outsiders. You've never known to fear them while you try to make them love you. How lucky. Poor Tom, you do. I hope not from first hand knowledge.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:26 PM
Cyde

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a dream, or test, or something. Annie is being exposed to each and every one of her fears, and broken of all her strongest convictions. If not, I'm pretty sure I'll be done reading after this arc. Changing stats quo can be good, and promotes both character and story growth. This is simply discarding all story lines and characterizations that have been building up since chapter 3. At this point, the only way to salvage the arc would be to let Rey go ahead and possess Anthony, then be on his merry way. One other thing that's been bugging me about this arc is the title "Tree." All of the other titles have been relevant to the arc so far. I went digging thru the archives a bit and one page in particular seemed to jump out at me: Chapter 45, page 28. May be relevant.

17 Apr 2015 | 8:27 PM