Tom

Chapter 51: Page 9

Seems reasonable!

Comments

Add a comment here

*Check this to prove that you are not Boxbot.
Observer

Excuse me... But how long has she been in that school and no one noticed until NOW (except Reynard)? and then: I would have thought she´d fail in tests... And: what other subjects doe they teach that she seems to only get by with History & Bioilogy?

30 Mar 2015 | 12:00 AM
Reynaerde

And he's back to being a dick again

30 Mar 2015 | 12:01 AM
Jude Deluca

And father/daughter time just keeps getting better.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:01 AM
Good Guy Tony

Giving his daughter more time at school so they can start all over and make up for lost time!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:02 AM
Elereth

Okay, so you're not just a bad parent. You're also a bad teacher. Somehow I don't think you care, though. I'm left with the distinct impression your aim is unrelated to your performance in either of these things.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:03 AM
Klimpaloon

So *that's* why she doesn't need the new book!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:03 AM
ieatapples

I mean, I get that he's PROBABLY caring for Annie in his own way, but dear lord he's making my blood boil so much.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:04 AM
Captain Savory

I love how even Annie's hair is upset. She is literally about to fall apart!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:05 AM
katie

Faithful friends forever be.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:05 AM
Noka

Oh boy. This is going to get interesting, to say the least.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:07 AM
C.A.S.P.I

And later that night the robots picked the flesh from his bones..

30 Mar 2015 | 12:08 AM
Elsa

Whether she cheated or not doesn't justify the abusive bullying her father is carrying out. Discipline is one thing, but humiliating her in front of the class for wearing makeup and trying to turn her peers against her by holding up the commencement of instruction until she returns, is a jerk move. I'm really glad Cat's wise to this, and hope this situation gets dealt with appropriately at some point. (Knowing this comic, it will be

30 Mar 2015 | 12:13 AM
RedWire

And just like that hes back on my "I dont like you" list

30 Mar 2015 | 12:14 AM
Aeronaut

D:

30 Mar 2015 | 12:14 AM
Shamus

AND PROMS TOMORROW!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:15 AM
vg

I'm so mad that I've actually come back around to being calm. Anthony Carver must die, but that doesn't mean we have to get all flustered about it! Seriously, though, if Mr Carver is allowed to wreak havoc on Annie's life, there will be blood. It's his damn fault that she wasn't better educated as a child.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:15 AM
Yohn

Well, at least it's a relief to see that Kat, despite what she just learned, is still willing to stand up for Antimony.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:15 AM
Khlovia

Well, if part of his motivation was to drive a wedge between her and her friends, that just blew up in his face. More things should blow up in his face. Zimmy made a good start, but there hasn't been enough follow-through....

30 Mar 2015 | 12:15 AM
sb

Oooh. Nuclear option activated! You're not a man to do things by half, Anthony, are you? At least it's clear now why Coyote doesn't faze Annie in the least. When you train with the best...

30 Mar 2015 | 12:15 AM
NinjaRaven

Oooooh. The man's got standards (the Court doesn't care? interesting). Having an opportunity to repeat a year isn't so bad when Annie could just outright be expelled at the Court's leisure, given the amount of cheating she is guilty of. And I get the feeling based on Annie's reaction to Kat's outburst means that Anthony is implacable once he's reached a decision. Maybe that's what Surma came to appreciate about him - how unshakeable his convictions were, even in the face of raging flame.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:16 AM
TronX7

I'm not really sure why people are complaining so much about Anthony Carver. He's acting like a normal parent at least to me. Tough love, that's all.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:16 AM
Katpaz

punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him punch him

30 Mar 2015 | 12:16 AM
walbus

I like him.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:17 AM
Khlovia

P.S. See? He spent the weekend before classes started going through her homework with hostile intent, rather than getting reacquainted with his daughter.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:17 AM
laura

he sounds like a really serious dad!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:20 AM
Urusai Neko

Why, you've been a busy little bugger, haven't you! And the Court already knew about it? Did they plant cameras in the girls' dorms, also? Makes me think Anthony wasn't as far away as we were led to believe!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:20 AM
RyGuy

Hmm...This wouldn't have any impact on Zimmy, sincemshe comes and goes as she pleases anyway, and she is really the only person in the court who can interfere with excising or containing the elemental. Hence, we can conclude that he really is doing this out of legitimate, if harsh, parental concern. After all, he wants her to be successful in the long life he intends to give her.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:24 AM
grilledicecream

from responsible parent right back into douchebag territory

30 Mar 2015 | 12:31 AM
Mr. Random

Harsh. But... why didn't the court say anything. If it was obvious that she was cheating that heavily, and that she needed help? Still, apparently her dad has THAT much sway over what happens to her? Instead of helping her now. Teaching her. Helping. He's pushing her apart. Someone mentioned he might be trying to completely separate Antimony from her friends. I... I think they were right. I think he's basically ostracizing her. Is he planning on taking her out soon? Making it easier? In a MESSED UP way?

30 Mar 2015 | 12:32 AM
Marie

Alright, so that explains the book thing. But that means she would be apart from Kat. I hope he fails to implement that particular plan.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:33 AM
Ritch

Cheating... and now repeating a grade. Talk about a plot twist. I might hate this guy's guts, but if Annie really was cheating...

30 Mar 2015 | 12:35 AM
Nikary

Don't you just hate to stay for a second year. I'm glad I never had to.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:35 AM
Exasperation

Mr. Carver, you should also publicly shame Annie's father for doing such a poor job of raising her. What a deadbeat loser HE must be!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:35 AM
Rhapsodeyus

On the one hand, that's a horrifying and disgraceful punishment, particularly for a reasonably popular student like Antimony. She's practically a celebrity. However, on the other hand, it's a completely reasonable one. She -cheated-. I'm no saint, but Antimony can't be excused from academic rigor just because she's the protagonist. Excellent plot crafting, Mr. Siddell.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:36 AM
Senshuken

If I had to guess, I suspect that Kat was the one who was coping the work. After all, she is often far to focused on her robotics...

30 Mar 2015 | 12:39 AM
Rukh

I suspected that Kat didn't know Antimony was copying her homework. I half expected her to upset about it.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:40 AM
E

With looks like that, he and Jones ought to get on well.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:42 AM
Locke

Quick, Kat, hack his robot brain!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:43 AM
Karishi

Tom's comment is basically Anthony Carver's entire character. He seems reasonable. It is only seeming reason, however. Dude's a psychopath who already tried to kill his daughter once.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:45 AM
Louis

It's fair enough to deduct her grade and arrange some remedial classes or something, but making her repeat an entire grade when the Court has been willing to overlook the issue up until now is just ridiculous. He's also just generally being a dick.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:47 AM
Bandolute

There it is: true friendship. Even if Kat's upset at Annie, which would be understandable, she's not going to throw the girl under the bus. People make mistakes, and these two are too close to let f**k ups screw up their relationship. Of course, I expect they'll have a talk about this homework biz later, but they'll do that as mature people. Annie repeating a grade at this point might not be unreasonable, necessarily, but she I believe making her retake those classes she's retroactively failed while remaining in her current grade is the better option. She'd be behind, but she wouldn't have to repeat the classes she's already passed on her own merits. Then, next summer, she could do summer school to knock out whatever was left--and if she worked very hard, she could pass all her missed classes in time to join Kat for the next year.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:55 AM
Rock

Kind of saw this coming when he mentioned the copying and realized she hadn't gotten a course book... Hmm. I sort of thought his sending her to the bathroom might have also been so she could compose herself, given what Kat's father said about how his actions were subtle. Still, this is all... harsh. Strictly fair, but harsh. ... Egad, now I'm wondering whether he intended to have honesty between his daughter and her best friend. >_

30 Mar 2015 | 12:56 AM
Anon3000

Anthony Carver uses "CATCH-UP PARENTAL DISCIPLINE" It's super effective! (And to be honest, assuming Annie was cheating more than just Year 9, maybe it ISN'T that unreasonable.) And it's not gonna happen anyway

30 Mar 2015 | 12:57 AM
Jason M Bryant

This is harsh, but I'm not sure that it's unfair. We all hate him and love Antimony, but seriously, she's been cheating. Apparently a lot. From the point of view of a school and a parent, this is serious. On the other hand, it's very strange that the school has known about it and not done anything. The only reason her cheating has been so extensive is because they let it slide. Doing nothing and letting the crimes pile up, then giving her the most severe punishment possible is extreme.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:00 AM
SomeCallMeTim

I suppose she'll have to move out of the Year 10 dorms, too. Oh, well, it will be a chance to make new friends instead of the weirdos in Queslett house.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:03 AM
claire

Father of the Year.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:06 AM
Barlin

Daughter? hmm

30 Mar 2015 | 1:09 AM
Alphonse

That's quite the poker face you're maintaining there Tony.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:12 AM
Michael

This all stinks of being the lead up to a test or something. I don't know, my brain took a vacation a while ago.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:12 AM
Fryste

... too reasonable

30 Mar 2015 | 1:15 AM
Jordan

Buddy, you have little to no right to come in and judge her. You have provided no support of any kind to her in years and hadn't even spoken to her until less than an hour ago in who knows how long. Sure, it was immoral for her to cheat, but it's something that you should work with her on from this point onward rather than punishing her (at least this severely) when it's clear that the rest of the Court didn't give a shit. Is it bad that I want Eglamore to punch him in his jerk face?

30 Mar 2015 | 1:15 AM
KatCheerSquad

Don't let us down now Donlan!

30 Mar 2015 | 1:18 AM
turboshitnerd

YEAHHH BOIIIIII

30 Mar 2015 | 1:22 AM
Zane

Ouch from young adult about to set out and right back into childhood. Kind of surprised it was only 1 year given how long the problem has been. What else will he bring the hammer on? Such suspense in a comic.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:23 AM
Freezer88

The only real question is "Who coldcocks him first: Annie, Kat, Prof. Donlan, Mrs. Prof. Donlan, Egalmore or Renard?"

30 Mar 2015 | 1:23 AM
McFrugal

Look, she's lucky she isn't being expelled. Academic dishonesty is a very serious offense.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:23 AM
Vi

I just realised, given that Kat is fervently worshipped the vast majority of the Court's population - most of whom have been shown to lack critical inhibitions, I pity the poor person who commits to making her unhappy.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:25 AM
Taney

Yeah I get the "concerned parent" angle, but honestly her dads too much of a dick to Annie to be a sympathetic character (yet). Even the court didn't care about plagiarism? Seems like he just wants an excuse to mess with her life more. It's not like she's going to need a flawless education to be a medium for a bunch of forest-dwellers who probably don't even have school, and the court knows it. Her eventual job will most likely be focused on people skills or etheric sciences. Making her repeat Year 9 will firmly cement Anthony's dick status unless he's got some crazy overarching scheme that's yet to be revealed.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:28 AM
Jacob C.

Not that I'm excusing the cheating, but there is something very messed up with the idea of the Court allowing the problem to build up, while they knew about it, giving her no warning to shape up. The creepy headmaster, and perhaps others high up in the court, were surely not letting it slide out of any charitable sentiment — rather, they wanted to let her dig herself into a hole. They wanted to amass as much leverage as possible to force her into becoming more compliant. No doubt they're also happy she has a friend they can threaten to punish (and threaten to separate from her) by suggesting collusion.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:33 AM
Ektii

Fair enough, I 'spose. It is academic dishonesty; I wondered when Annie was going to be pulled up for that.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:35 AM
Eska

Eh... if this were coming from any other teacher, I'd agree the decision for Annie to repeat her year was reasonable. Coming from her father though, I can't help but wonder at his motives. Somehow, I think he's just trying to do good by her, but is unable to take her emotions into account. At least, I hope that's the case. However, the court being in the know about Annie's plagiarism but keeping quiet about it, smacks of an indifferent educational system.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:37 AM
Timmy

He's making really good points. The girl messed up and should learn a lesson

30 Mar 2015 | 1:42 AM
Lea

The fact that Annie betrayed her trust can wait because right now Annie needs her badly. We should all have a friend like Kat.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:43 AM
=OO

=OO UNION ALL SELECT NULL,NULL,NULL--

30 Mar 2015 | 1:43 AM
U Owl Me

If anyone else still gonna defend his actions, I'll get seriously worried about you, guys.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:44 AM
Bear

+5 parenting points for Tony. He's certainly not the fun dad, but it seems like he's actually trying to be a good dad at this point.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:49 AM
Pennpenn

Wait what. The court KNEW. They didn't bring her up on it. The Court knew, and were responsible, and they DIDN'T CALL HER ON IT. It was their responsibility to nip this in the bud and they failed. She shouldn't have to repeat for that.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:51 AM
grod

Dang! What's his angle here?

30 Mar 2015 | 1:51 AM
Mittens Slowpaw

As I said before he is trying to isolate her from support group. It's a classic strategy of a parent who has control issues and is very manipulative. He cares more for his own goals and what he thinks is right then what is truly right for the child. Now there could be a plot twist beyond this but going off what we've seen this fits the bill. That said considering his past actions and the way everyone sees him. It would have to be a plot twist that I wouldn't believe or place in the realm of reason his character would do. He is a terrible person and parent.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:54 AM
-M

I get the feeling he's doing it for a different reason. The longer she's at the Court, the more change she can enact. He seems hyperlogical and so self-assured that his own daughter's distress means little for the greater outcome that her pleas can be validly ignored. Not saying that's tactful, but it would make his position more valid.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:01 AM
Pen

God he has such a creepy, robotic, empty stare.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:02 AM
aldarad

Abandonment, abuse, illegal medicalwhatever. I dont like this guy.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:05 AM
Streben

I think I might love Kat here. She's not angry at Annie at all, she's immediately defensive of her. She does however look like she's about to punch Mr. Butt though. And notably, he just offhandedly confirmed she is his daughter. Dooooo it Kat! Punch for justice! Finish the job Zimmy didn't!

30 Mar 2015 | 2:12 AM
Evigilo

you know not what is.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:20 AM
Damien

I wonder if he'll discipline her for this white lie, too...

30 Mar 2015 | 2:24 AM
Hakkaeni

I dont think I've ever experienced so much hatred over a fictional character since Envy killed Maes hugues in FMA.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:33 AM
Perlite

Oh, so NOW she's your daughter? You don't just get to pick and choose when to be someone's father! First time she's seen you in years and you: 1) humiliate her in front of her peers 2) act like a rude git 3) hold her back a grade. Honestly, with everything that's been going on and the spaced apart updates, I can't muster enough anger to truly hate him at the moment. It's fair that Annie has to repeat the year, she's copied almost all of her work. But DO NOT drag Kat into this, ass-hat.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:37 AM
Kyman201

On Friday I saw a lot of people saying "Emotional Manipulation" and "Trying to control Annie's life"... But personally? I think Anthony's just a regular run-of-the-mill hardass. And a stickler for doing things properly. Not that he's not a right jackass, but I don't think he's deliberately cruel.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:44 AM
Okay

There's a line between being a parent, and being a total ass. He must not have seen the line. Like, ever.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:45 AM
Alleline

Mr. Carver is acting exactly as so many professional would in real life, so nothing to say there yet, but I do smell a rat with the Court. Recall how everyone was shocked that Annie didn't become Court medium, and it seems to have been a half-hearted effort to regain administrative jurisdiction over Renard? Of course... the Court's always been a bit of a lurker in the gloom with its agendas, oldest theme in the comic.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:51 AM
GakFace

Does he want her to quit the school? She IS a fire elemental after all. Even if he wants to siphon her... can't do that if she quits. That's a big gamble. I wonder what coyote does... and reynard.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:52 AM
bratello-07

omg he is ruining her life D: also not bad example to how to intimidate a truant if it is your child

30 Mar 2015 | 2:52 AM
Anna

Then there was a reason he didn't give her the new book - in his planning, she won't be needing it. :p ... Well, it's reasonable that her cheating would have consequences, but this still feels horrible. I suppose Anthony is doing some actual parenting here, but BETTER parenting would have been to get off his ass for one hour sometime last year (and the years before that) to write a letter to her, or something. He should have told her that he would come back, and would be teaching. Maybe he didn't know about her cheating until now. If the court only had given her a warning as soon as they knew, I am sure Annie would have stopped. I really feel her pain.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:59 AM
omgomgomg

Oh come on, girls! Punch that asshole in the face already!

30 Mar 2015 | 3:04 AM
Silverv

I haaaaaaaate this guy.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:09 AM
Somewhat happy

this is the outcome I was expecting. looks like Kat still cares about Antimony despite the cheating.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:21 AM
Proper

All right, now you may kill this asshole.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:22 AM
speedwell

FFS. Well, we get a new cast of friends and an extra year of the comic, eh? Tom, you wanker. (I say that affectionately, but, Tom, you wanker. lol)

30 Mar 2015 | 3:27 AM
Ants

Honestly, Annie is getting off easy, here. Expulsion would be a totally reasonable consequence of her actions, if her cheating is to the extent I infer it is (nigh-constant). Between that and her cavalier attitude regarding the rules and procedures of the school, some discipline was due. This also explains why she was not issued materials for the class; she's not in it. Kind of a stretch for the events to proceed as they did, though.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:28 AM
Geneseepaws

So, the "Apple" thing. This chapter is Not about Annie and Kat is it? This, here, is about the Horrors that Tony's daft Da' visited on him, and that Tony is now visiting on Annie. For me forward, if this is nowt save unrelenting abuse o' his fiery wee Bairn, then this is done. Unless it changes, put me paid, I'll hie me back fer th' next.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:33 AM
Les

This is being a terrible parent right here. Annie deserves consequence, yes, but not repeating a grade. That would be if she was found to continue cheating. Literally, just separate her and Kat during classes/tests, and make sure Kat helps her after class.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:40 AM
liz

So that's why no textbook?

30 Mar 2015 | 3:44 AM
Bakasura

I know this would destroy the current conflict and it would cause all new problems, but I just want something to eat him

30 Mar 2015 | 3:44 AM
Nikary

Well, that explains the book.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:49 AM
Prosher

Don't cry don't cry

30 Mar 2015 | 3:52 AM
Liz

It's like your opinion of this guy flips between HUGE JERK and not as big of a jerk :/

30 Mar 2015 | 3:54 AM
Sash

... again, no wonder he's this pissed at Annie. He comes back and sees his daughter got all cheatey and dishonest-like. He made her rub off her makeup to begin the reforming process - "at least be honest in your appearance" Although it's quite true that he should've began waaaay sooner

30 Mar 2015 | 3:55 AM
Sash

Also, first time he acknowledges that Annie is his daughter!

30 Mar 2015 | 3:56 AM
Lopsided

I first read that as repeating 9 years....

30 Mar 2015 | 3:59 AM
Tsakta

Hurricane Anthony sweeps through Gunnerkrigg...

30 Mar 2015 | 4:18 AM
smilr

He *really* has no idea how to be a father doesn't he? Technically, the court and he should have every right to pursue these disciplinary and remedial actions. The manner in which he is communicating them reinforces the concept that he either has no empathy for his daughter, or is so incapable/scare of being a parent that he is retreating into stiff formalism. Despite this I seriously want to physically frog-march him across the bridge and let coyote torment/educate him for a decade as penance for this horror he is inflicting on Annie.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:18 AM
Ud the Imp

WHOA WHOA, TIME OUT! Slow down there cowboy! Repeating the entire year might be a little harsh. Maybe she could take weekend remedial classes? Or maybe tutoring? Crash courses? I dunno, ANYTHING other than repeating the year!

30 Mar 2015 | 4:19 AM
OtakuPatriot

Wow... On the one hand, he's really coming down on her and it seems very cold. But on the other, actions do have consequences and she kind of deserves it. As much as I like Antimony, I'm not sure how to feel.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:23 AM
westwindreborn

Is anyone getting the feeling they Anthony wants to cut annie off from any influence of his former friends?

30 Mar 2015 | 4:23 AM
Nimryel

No one knows how to raise my blood pressure in the morning quite like you Tom.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:23 AM
Uiop

Really not a dick thing to do. Truly.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:24 AM
TheWiggleKing

He didn't let Annie call him father earlier, but referred to her as his daughter here. Maybe he was mainly upset about the cheating thus far. There's still some shiz to figure out about him though.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:25 AM
t-man

Ooohh, don't know about you guys, but I am exited to see her new class wonder what they will be like.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:28 AM
Josh

How vewwy intewesting that they already knew... It's like they were biding their time to see what would happen; like maybe Annie'd stop of her own accord.m? But now here comes Mr. Let's React to Everything.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:33 AM
Kyrielle

Of course he would wait until this moment to refer to Annie as,- "my daughter". He's trying to appeal to Kat as a higher authority figure than some teacher, that is the only reason he would wait this long to refer to Annie as his daughter. This isn't a father expressing disappointment, this is a just a cruel crusade of his own design. He's done nothing but abuse his position - biology was not one of the subjects she's been cheating in, which means he has little involvement with the work in question. Any teacher from those other subjects would have been a far better candidate to deliver this news, or the headmaster himself. What a lousy excuse of a father. I hope Kat calls him out for abandoning his daughter in need.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:34 AM
Steph

harsh but fair

30 Mar 2015 | 4:34 AM
Jay

So...the court knew about it already huh? Hmm. Well, I guess Annie is lucky that repeating a year is the only thing she will have to go through. In my school, she would have been expelled. I'm sorry for her but this really has been a long time coming.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:38 AM
Saru

As someone who's now having to work with a peer who's leeched off others her whole academic life, I'm torn. Why did the court let it slide again?

30 Mar 2015 | 4:40 AM
Shino1

So I think that's it, the climax. The Mount Arsehole. The tipping point. He can't get any more douchebag than this. Hopefully now will follow something other than "Dad Is A Douche To Antimony" we've been seeing non-stop since the beginning of the chapter.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:43 AM
JAG76

Yes he CAN do that and he should. She is a cheating little liar. >:(

30 Mar 2015 | 4:48 AM
Pablo

So "The Court" knew but didn't care, possibly in the same way that they don't care if Zimmy takes any classes at all as long as they can study her. If they physically segregate students by year, that would be a good way of separating Annie & Kat without being too obvious about it. You'd think Dad would have done something before the start of term rather than after the start, so his return may have been only very recent.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:50 AM
That Blunt Guy

Okay, now that is just being a douche. Someone please knock him off his high horse, because it's not fair. The guy has no bloody clue on how to be a father, and he thinks he can do whatever he wants with Annie? I don't acknowledge him, neither as a father, nor as a teacher. Does he seriously think he has the right to threaten his students like that? Where's Renard or Ysengrin when you need them?

30 Mar 2015 | 4:51 AM
CuddleCutie

Brace yourselves, Katstorm is coming .

30 Mar 2015 | 4:54 AM
AdmiralNoob

He'll probably punish her anyway. Oh dear.

30 Mar 2015 | 4:57 AM
Manal Y

Every strip in this arc feels like a cliffhanger.

30 Mar 2015 | 5:08 AM
Anonybot

See children, this is a battleground. Just like Hogwarts. Or any school.

30 Mar 2015 | 5:10 AM
Elle

I find it interesting how the Court knew about her cheating and didn't do anything about it. Annie could have avoided the possibility of repeating a year if it was addressed right away then she could have done some extra credit and Kat could have tutored her... this is a fail for the school imo. Anthony is just being fair (annoyingly so but still).

30 Mar 2015 | 5:17 AM
Bastian

Wow. Nice work on keeping this guy an emotionally reserved, dislikable character. And I mean that in a consistent way. No over the top emotional moments, no stupid moves without justification - this guy really is mean and I can't see a logical reason why he is. Mean for the sake of mean. He's a mean dad. Nothing more, as of yet, and that makes him even more dislikable. Like Tywin Lannister to Tyrion - you killed your move, prepare for my rage. Nice work!

30 Mar 2015 | 5:25 AM
Pam

What a horrible father and teacher. I hope Coyote is behind this! (Something I thought I'd never say)

30 Mar 2015 | 5:26 AM
Bard

Although he's harsh, I still feel that Antimony needs to actually learn something instead of copying her friend all of the time.

30 Mar 2015 | 5:28 AM
ilgkc

still waiting for this nightmare-sequence to poof...

30 Mar 2015 | 5:31 AM
Cora

I might have to go back and read the whole series again, 'cause I remember nothing of Annie copying off Kat's work. Annie seems to readily admit it, though, so her creepy father seems strangely reasonable in this conversation. Nothing she's done could ever justify humiliating her in front of her peers regarding her appearance, though. I still consider him abusive.

30 Mar 2015 | 5:33 AM
Kip

What an utter tool. One single word of support and his daughter might actually make it through school. But I guess this will be the comic's final unanswered question, how Surma Stibnite fell in love with Anthony Carver. (All other possible reasons to start a family with him are too cynical and depressing to contemplate.)

30 Mar 2015 | 5:36 AM
Paigely

So they wait until it's too late to correct the behavior when it was discovered, let her dad who hasn't taken the time to see her in years turn up in her class, have him drop the news on her like a box of rocks, and tell her she's going to be held back as a result. Yeaaaaaah. Reasonable. You're being mean to her, Tom. :)

30 Mar 2015 | 5:45 AM
AJBulldis

Yay, 4 more years of school!

30 Mar 2015 | 5:52 AM
CharonDusk

And he just went right back to jerk level. Seriously, is this some kind of master plan to separate her from all of her emotional support, making her easier to manipulate or something? Really starting the get that feeling...

30 Mar 2015 | 5:52 AM
Ds6

Despite everything, Annie seems to be holding it together... For how long?

30 Mar 2015 | 5:57 AM
Whoop

That can't be good, can it?

30 Mar 2015 | 6:02 AM
Yamsu

No.. actually, it is reasonable. Annie really is smart but she shouldn't give up on her grades.. She shouldn't cheat, and she shouldn't slacked. I know I effed up and messed up my math class in America's Year 8, and I had to repeat the class.. She kind of brought this upon herself. But her dad still has no right to publicly humiliate her or not even contact her. Hmmmph

30 Mar 2015 | 6:08 AM
PlutoBum

After all this time, and he just gets right to being harsh....he could have at least explained why he was gone until now. I don't think he has a right to going all "dad" on her until he knows her better!

30 Mar 2015 | 6:11 AM
Lolly

Poor Annie. She seems so frightened around her father and now he's doing this.....

30 Mar 2015 | 6:11 AM
Ekelz

For a smart man he sure is dumb enough to believe he can "fix" everything in her life that happened after he abandoned her at school. Especially with the non-existent comfort he provided after Surma died.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:12 AM
Bug

Hey, buster, you don't get to be missing for most of her life (including when her mother was alive because like hell were you ever there) and then come back and decide "GUESS IT'S TIME TO START BEING A DAD NOW". No. Just no. You don't get to do that. She's not here for your goddamn approval.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:13 AM
Drake

Rough! It IS about time she was caught though...

30 Mar 2015 | 6:18 AM
Lord_Obsidious

Anthony, I would advise caution. This is the girl who punched a Psychopomp for abandoning Annie, who is revered as an Angel by the very framework of the court, who bossed around a Cthulhian nightmare, whose girlfriend beats up ocean liners, whose very presence terrifies ZIMMY. She created an Antigrav device from SCRATCH, as a side-project, crossed the river without the bridge, made a robot whole again, revived an ancient pseudo-magical golem without knowing almost anything about the ether, and don't get me started on her skills with a console. You'd be best not to mess with her or her best friend.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:18 AM
Will

I love you, too, Dad!

30 Mar 2015 | 6:19 AM
Meep22

Tom, I like that you're being optimistic, but seriously? How is that reason at all?! You can't separate Annie and Kat!!! Carver you bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 Mar 2015 | 6:21 AM
wwlaos

Frankly, I completely support this. Her cheating has pissed me off far more than anything the Court or even Coyote has done yet. She absolutely deserves this. >:| What I'm saying is, step up your game, Coyote.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:23 AM
Proper

It is NOT reasonable, asshole.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:24 AM
unicorn132

What happened to extra credit?

30 Mar 2015 | 6:25 AM
Echon

I love that Kat still jumps in to take Annie's side despite having just learned that her best friend had been cheating off of her. ...Why didn't the Court do anything about Annie's cheating though?

30 Mar 2015 | 6:29 AM
phaelon

couldn't she do summer school? (is that a thing there?)

30 Mar 2015 | 6:35 AM
Cthulhufish

Reasonable? Honestly, if her only punishment is having her grades adjusted, Antimony got off REALLY easy. Plagiarism to that extent would have been easy grounds for suspension or quite possibly expulsion at my high school... Is the UK any different?

30 Mar 2015 | 6:35 AM
Eliytres

It's only fair.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:37 AM
S@m

Well, that explains why he didn't give her a textbook. He wasn't planning on keeping her in the class. (Still doesn't excuse his jackass behaviour, mind you.)

30 Mar 2015 | 6:37 AM
eleutherios

this makes my soul hurt

30 Mar 2015 | 6:44 AM
cybik

inb4 torrent of hate.

30 Mar 2015 | 6:44 AM
Donna

Cute. He just shifted from "Sir" to "my daughter". As Kat and Annie, I'd be fuming. But as a reader, I'm not opposed to having an "extra year" of this story! I just hope he doesn't also kick her out of the dorms. I honestly thought a fair punishment would be to make her retake all her exams again. But this also keeps her and Kat out of sequence academically, which actually does solve the cheating problem. Blinker stone or not... But it also means she will never attend class, since she's already heard it all. Hmmm....

30 Mar 2015 | 6:54 AM
hmmm

So, the absent father gets to show up and make value judgement having spent no time or effort on her upbringing?

30 Mar 2015 | 6:55 AM
Ihpkmn

Serious question: if the Court was okay with this (most likely due to Antimony's duties as a medium candidate for the past couple of years; I don't remember her copying any of Kat's work in Year 7), how the hell Can Anthony "Punchable Face" Carver suddenly change that arrangement?

30 Mar 2015 | 7:02 AM
BloodPlum

That would seem reasonable, if this was college. Cheating happens in middle and high school all the time. A lot of time right before class starts in the classroom it happens. I think that's the problem. He's treating teenagers with the same expectations he'd give to an adult class. From the removal of make up to the level of difficulty of the course. I don't think he knows how to deal with children.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:04 AM
DarkVisor

If Annie goes back, Kat is going with her

30 Mar 2015 | 7:05 AM
PumpkinCake

This better not be an actual thing that happens. This is a plotline that I would not be able to stand.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:10 AM
Van

No. The tests show she knows her material. Her classwork shows she does her work. It is just her homework. You sir should be the one held back from teaching for being a bad father.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:10 AM
Navyplanets

wtfbbq? Also, he's the worst. Absolute worst. What a butt.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:10 AM
dude

Wow Annie way to go

30 Mar 2015 | 7:10 AM
Jacob

How does he have the authority to do that?

30 Mar 2015 | 7:13 AM
jodie

even if it sounds harsh its actually pretty reasonable she didnt work on her own to pass anyway

30 Mar 2015 | 7:13 AM
Mystic Monkey

Well, he's got her eatting outta her hand now.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:15 AM
Ross

"My daughter". Finally confirming that much, anyway.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:19 AM
Anonymous

Kat, you should not have tried to defend her.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:20 AM
A

This is so fucked up seriously

30 Mar 2015 | 7:21 AM
Cobalt

Wait wait wait wait... *DAUGHTER*?

30 Mar 2015 | 7:24 AM
Sashmiel

What any responsible schmendrick would do.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:29 AM
Karen

I've never seen young Carver so flustered and worried. Is she scared?

30 Mar 2015 | 7:29 AM
dmitri

gonna read this again when this finishes

30 Mar 2015 | 7:35 AM
LittleMountain

OH SNAP! Retroactive Plagiarism Penalties! The worst kind, because you though! you'd gotten away with it!

30 Mar 2015 | 7:35 AM
Mute

This is heartwrenching and harsh, but it IS fair(ish), unfortunately, so I can't hold this part against Anthony (the whole class humiliation thing, THAT I hold against him)- I mean, it's clear that she cheated A LOT, and I dunno how it is in UK-ish schools, but at all the schools I went to, cheating even a couple times would get you EXPELLED. (I think most of them were kinda three-strikes-ish) My heart weeps for Annie, truly it does, but she has this coming if she was cheating so constantly for YEARS. ;/ Wonder why the Court allowed it.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:35 AM
Lurk

I love this guy.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:36 AM
Some guy

More like: Annie didn't know anything about it.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:37 AM
Anansi

Honestly, it really is reasonable. She did cheat and he as a both a teacher and a caring father shouldn't be alright with that sort of behavior continuing...

30 Mar 2015 | 7:40 AM
vlad

what an @$$****!

30 Mar 2015 | 7:40 AM
Chip Uni

Mr Carver has a wall decorated with his awards for congeniality.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:40 AM
Selkierose

okay, Kat's a true friend.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:41 AM
Bradling

Where is the love!?

30 Mar 2015 | 7:43 AM
OH NO YOU DON'T

YOU. COMPLETE. ARSE. RONALD- I mean ANTHONY CARVER!!!! WHERE DO YOU GET OFF?! HEEELLLLL NO

30 Mar 2015 | 7:48 AM
Mint

GAahH!

30 Mar 2015 | 7:52 AM
Boxbot

I wish this would happen to everyone who did this in my classes. But not annie.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:53 AM
Auren

Tony went through ALL her work. That must have taken hours. That's some effort. I'm sorta in favor of this. Antimony really does need to be punished for cheating. She probably would never have stopped if this wouldn't have happened and that's not fair to the other kids who work hard.

30 Mar 2015 | 7:58 AM
TheOwlduke

Well, that solved the textbook issue...

30 Mar 2015 | 8:03 AM
Murph04

Of course it's reasonable, that's what they do at actual schools in similar circumstances

30 Mar 2015 | 8:07 AM
Kile

Dick move, but that's a fairly standard punishment for massive amounts of plagiarism. Heck it's almost kind considering she could be expelled or sent back further. I wish he'd think of a punishment that wouldn't socially isolate her though.

30 Mar 2015 | 8:25 AM
Person

A "more reasonable" response to her cheating would be to warn her that any instances of cheating in the coming year will result in zero's for the assignment and detention.

30 Mar 2015 | 8:31 AM
Leah

I like how many people made a 180 from "oh he does care about her! we were wrong!!" no, he's still a jerk. And now, a terrible teacher. Would it kill him to start with "I love you, I missed you?" apparently. Ugh, hate this guy.

30 Mar 2015 | 8:32 AM
Elise

Noooooooooo!!!!

30 Mar 2015 | 8:35 AM
Ghan

Hahahaha... This is awesome, she's just lucky she didn't get expelled, I mean, come on. She was deliberately cheating, and if what buddy says about the school knowing she cheated and didn't care, it just means the court's not invested in her, pulling some strings so she can pass so she can serve a purpose or god knows what. No, so far I'm loving dad, he's amazing. Annie was cheating, yo, she did wrong. She's gotta learn there's consequences.

30 Mar 2015 | 8:36 AM
S

Can't Antimony just throw a fireball at him or something....this guy is the worst!

30 Mar 2015 | 8:38 AM
Barry

Definitely torn on this one. Judging by his demeanour and his actions, I agree that Annie has to face some sort of consequence, especially since this has been over two years. But damn, Anthony comes on hard.

30 Mar 2015 | 8:47 AM
hnmmmmmm

Must have something to do with her being the new medium

30 Mar 2015 | 8:53 AM
hnmmmmmm

Must have something to do with her being the new medium

30 Mar 2015 | 8:53 AM
hnmmmmmm

Must have something to do with her being the new medium

30 Mar 2015 | 8:53 AM
Eric Burns-White

Told you the Court knew she was cheating. The question is -- why have they been letting her get away with it. I'd submit it was because they had expected her to be the Medium, and felt she was too useful. See also "not cracking down on her skipping detentions." But, then she wasn't picked as the Medium after all... almost like they contacted her father, who refused to give parental consent. And the next semester, here's her father, and he wants to push her back to Grade 9. Which... given that they don't seem to expel people for academic dishonesty... Actually... why don't they expel people for academic dishonesty, again?

30 Mar 2015 | 8:56 AM
Eric Burns-White

I should make mention -- I work at a private school. And academic dishonesty's pretty much the core of any decent school's 'no' list. It has to be. If you don't require every student to do their own work, then you're being unfair to every student who does. So... once again we see that Gunnerkrieg Court's not a decent school. But then, it's not really a school at all, is it?

30 Mar 2015 | 9:00 AM
Reevke

Mr. Carver, if you could have been contacted this problem would have been solved already!

30 Mar 2015 | 9:00 AM
amphiox

If she has been cheating for more than a single year, then repeating a grade is not merely fair, it is generous. The fair punishment for that level of cheating would frankly be expulsion. The last time a character appeared that was unidimensionally as unlikeable as this was Hetty. Which I suppose means that by the end of this chapter, either another shoe will drop about Anthony, or he's going to die in blazing fire....

30 Mar 2015 | 9:00 AM
GoblinScribe

I like how the Court just ignored this behavior. Probably figured Annie's connections as a Medium outweighed her disregard for authority.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:00 AM
Gunner1543

You know, Annie, there's always the forest.... You can go there any time... Seems like her dad is trying to drive her there.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:02 AM
Edmund

Watch him turn out to be some evil dad doppelganger and we've all been raging for the wrong reasons or something horrible. This isn't like Friends AT ALL :C

30 Mar 2015 | 9:03 AM
AxialGentleman

If he was really trying to do "tough love," this and yesterday's strip are where the conversation should have started. The public humiliation over unrelated issues was unnecessary and abusive. It's like the parent who tells themselves they're being a tough disciplinarian when all they're really doing is taking out their rage on someone who can't hit back.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:06 AM
Lucas

I do not see why people are so angry at him. Sure, he seemed like a terrible person at first, but now that his reasons been revealed, it makes a lot of sense. He is harsh, but he is teaching Antimony about the consequences of cheating. And even if she goes back to year 9, she can always spend weekends and holidays with Kat. I just do not understand why the Court let her do it for so long if they already knew about it. It is not a very good school.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:09 AM
Maggie

Am I the only one who remembers Kat was the one that cheated? Annie is protecting her, because Kat has a lot more to lose.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:11 AM
Flyover

I can't help but remember that Wednesday is April Fool's Day. It would be really funny if Annie woke up after all this.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:13 AM
Aprillen

Tom. This is really, really painful. I most certainly hope there will be payback.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:15 AM
Sci

I read this so far as a cowardly man taking some petty revenge on the entity that caused his wifes death, and by pushing her back a year both punishing and removing her from his sight again. Unless he's about to offer some sort of deal to prevent it, he's returned to the Court for some reason other than Annie. This is him removing with a painful reminder to himself, nothing more.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:15 AM
Sheila

I hope he doesn't stop her from seeing coyote...ugh why would her mother date such a man -_-

30 Mar 2015 | 9:18 AM
SirKaid

Let me get it out of the way: dude's an asshole. That said, he's not wrong. Annie's been cheating for years and the only reason the Court hasn't cared is that she's very useful toward the true purpose of the Court, aka "investigating weird stuff and keeping the Forest from messing with us whilst we do it". If they cared about their mission as educators nearly as much as their mission as scientists, she would have been, at best, suspended a long time ago. He's a bastard but he isn't wrong.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:18 AM
machiavelli33

There's a time when one realizes who one's true family is, in the people who really care for you.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:20 AM
bronson

She deserves it. Cheating gives you an 0. He can't reward her for it.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:22 AM
Maru

Now this is just getting silly

30 Mar 2015 | 9:32 AM
duckandcover

"I hate my daughter so much because I think she killed my wife when it's obvious that I haven't accepted the terms of messing around with the magic side of the Court. But hey, taking up a post where I can always see her and relive the pain is wise and I'm so glad the Court agrees with me for no logical reason whatsoever."

30 Mar 2015 | 9:36 AM
Angel Harp

I dont get why everyone so mad of course Annie is his daughter and all but you cant change the fact she have been cheating alot so as teaher he have no chose but to do what any teacher will do

30 Mar 2015 | 9:39 AM
Angel Harp

30 Mar 2015 | 9:39 AM
Angel Harp

30 Mar 2015 | 9:39 AM
mrsnumbles

No expression in those eyes at all. Nothing to indicate he gives a red damn about Annie outside of where she fits into academia. Observer: The court already knew, but Annie continues to be useful to them, soooo.....

30 Mar 2015 | 9:40 AM
Metta

Still say this is a bad dream sequence from Annie.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:41 AM
mrsnumbles

To be completely fair though, there needs to consequences for Annie's cheating. I'd prefer her to be snowed under by make-up work for the next year, but....Mr Carver has no idea, nor would he care, about the emotional/social ramifications of Annie having to repeat a year.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:42 AM
DavidG

If people want to say the punishment is ethically correct, then ethically they need to look at the entire situation. The Court exploited Annie by overlooking her cheating, because that was politically convenient in their relationship with Coyote. They could have dealt with it as a minor issue years ago, rather than letting it escalate over a period of years. Therefore it is the Court who are guilty here, not Annie. Annie is being punished, by a member of the Court, for the actions of the Court. On a separate, but inevitably related theme, I can't help wondering if there is a relationship between Tony's hand, and Coyote's band/tooth/knife, with the threat Annie was under from it the last time the two of them interacted. In which case you have to wonder just how balanced his judgement is on anything regarding his daughter. Given he was also the one who put her in hospital that time, is this justice, or just more abuse?

30 Mar 2015 | 9:44 AM
Shocking

It is shocking how many of you think this is okay. No, she isn't lucky she isn't expelled. The Court would never expel her. She is a scientific and political asset. General education is not the end all be all as apparently some of you believe. The Court it self has already altered her ciriculum and essentially put her on a trade school track. The Court doesn't care so there is 0 official backing for his actions. He is just doing what he wants to do. Remember that the Court, Anthony, Coyote, they all have hidden agendas and are clearly using these kids. This isn't your middle school. But even if it was, if you think cheating on middle school homework is more unacceptable than a father who abandoned his child walking back into her life and tearing her away from the support system she has built up around herself to survive and develop as a social human being then you have some seriously twisted values..

30 Mar 2015 | 9:46 AM
MBobrik

I expected he gets her straight expelled. I suppose, he still has to get her sacked from the forest medium position and remove Zimmy and Kat from the equation. Only then will he get her expelled from the court, exercise his right as a parent, and take her somewhere away. Where of course he dismantles her alive, as he already tried once, and disposes of the remains quietly. That's how a surgeon works. He cuts tumors out from surrounding tissues, then takes them apart.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:50 AM
Dave

This is ridiculous. Excessive punishments don't teach justice. She's made mistakes, but he's lucky she isn't using drugs and committing crimes, for all he abandoned her and left her to discover her mother's fate on her own. Annie should BLACKMAIL him and threaten to have him put in jail for putting her in a coma that Zimmy had to save her from. I hope Reyard thinks of this one. Or Annie thinks of it on her own!

30 Mar 2015 | 9:53 AM
Drama

Ooh, drama!

30 Mar 2015 | 9:54 AM
Ric

Bah, isn't it a safer assumption to make that they simply studied together, and that's why they made the same errors? I've done that, and I wasn't ever cheating. Although perhaps it's a matter of scale this time....

30 Mar 2015 | 9:58 AM
queenhaggard

I'm surprised/relieved that Kat is still defending Annie after Annie cheated off her. She's a good friend.

30 Mar 2015 | 9:59 AM
Aaron

30 Mar 2015 | 10:05 AM
rosebud

Ok so is he a jerk for being rude and cold towards his daughter after 2 years of neglect? yes. Is he wrong for making his daughter face responsibility for her irresponsible cheating? No, Antimony had this coming for a long time.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:05 AM
Daisho

Happy to admit I was dead wrong on the blank face in a literal sense, but still in with a chance of calling it correctly in metaphorical terms. :)

30 Mar 2015 | 10:07 AM
AndyW

Ok, so the court (or is that Court) knew about this, and let it slide. Instead of doing what was right for Annie and picking up on it straight away. Um. They're not interested in the students actually learning at all, are they? And Mr. "do the right thing no matter how callously" is picking a fight with the Court. Him against the headmaster? The fuse has been lit, everyone start running!

30 Mar 2015 | 10:10 AM
oddodddodo

Great art of Tony in panel 5! This is about the first time that we have seen a full picture of him looking "straight at the camera," so to speak. I guess we did in strip 1488 too, but that was an ultra-closeup (also very cool in its way).

30 Mar 2015 | 10:10 AM
Blueberry

Well, even if he was a jerk before, this is pretty reasonable.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:10 AM
Sherni

If the Court doesn't have a problem with it (which explains a lot), then where does he get off meddling? He's been gone from her life for years, and now he thinks he can pop up and deal out judgement?! This would have been justified coming from one of her other teachers- those who have actually BEEN PRESENT in her school life, but not him. Annie did cheat, very true, and she deserves some punishment. But shouldn't some of the blame go to the Court too, for allowing this to go on as long as it has?

30 Mar 2015 | 10:10 AM
M

Well, first we had the tree of knowledge, and now we have paradise lost. Question is, who's the snake? Tony? And what's his endgame? To occupy her time so fully that she can't visit the forest? To break her bond with Kat? To get his hands on Renard somehow? Or is this really an honest attempt to be a good father, in the only way he can manage?

30 Mar 2015 | 10:13 AM
Serena

So I'm thinking that she's got a learning disability. It appears that the school system (and Mr Carver) do not know how to deal with this. (IE: get her a tutor that can help.) Classic mistake, and one that most current school systems suffer... but I think a teacher/parent doing this is unforgivable.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:13 AM
Liz

This reminds me of when Jones warned Annie that the court wouldn't tolerate much more of her actions. I feel like Jones knew something was going to happen, even if she wasn't sure what. It also seems kinda suspicious that the court has stayed silent on this for so long. Either they wanted Annie on their side and waited until she seemed to be a lost cause (she ended up being less compliant than Surma despite being more collected) or...something else? Annie was so sure that she could just miss detention whenever she wanted, because "what are they gonna do, tell my parents?" Well now they have, Annie. What are you and Kat going to do now?

30 Mar 2015 | 10:14 AM
Stef

And then she wakes up ... right?

30 Mar 2015 | 10:21 AM
Sparky

This behaviour doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. I hope this is just some sort of delusion, a magical trial or something to prove Annie's integrity, because it would make more sense than what he is doing now. Which doesn't make any sense. Absurd things happening in an absurd environment is one thing, But absurd things happening where everything should be ordered and estabilished makes up for a freaking nightmare in my head.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:21 AM
Razor

Well, crap.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:24 AM
Kris

I wonder how much misbehaviour he will willingly ignore just because it is not coming from his daughter.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:25 AM
A fan

So.. is he riling her up, to see what she will do, to better judge her capabilites or to see what her supporters will do? Or is he doing this for some other nefarious purpose? Or is he really just this dumb? He says he made arrangements for her to repeat year nine, does that really mean the Court really think this is just punishment, despite the fact they turned a blind eye for so long?

30 Mar 2015 | 10:35 AM
Not Boxbot

It was mentioned in passing but I think warrants a second look... All Anthony's evidence points to is cheating taking place. Not that Antimony's the one doing it. It's also fully possible (especially given those last few panels) that Kat's the one who's been cheating and Antimony is covering for her.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:36 AM
Sparky

On a side note, how in heavens does an English boarding school works? She could have copied homeworks, (BTW, homeworks weren't graded, only checked at my school) but there's no way she could have copied tests, especially without Kat's cooperation. So, how comes her grades allowed her to pass? Is that a kind of school where you don't get individual tests? Interviews and exercises on the blackboard in front of everyone? There is just no way her classmates and teachers could be unaware of Annie's poor preparation, I just don't get it.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:41 AM
Jon

Still thinking this is a nightmare. Again, the makeup. And everyone looking younger. And Annie just letting her dad show up as her teacher without any explanation. If that holds, I imagine Kat's going to react out-of-proportion to all of this next. "You're dead to me," etc.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:41 AM
kishimobot

I'm tired of seeing "he's just being a fair parent" comments. The goal should be to make sure that she can learn the material herself. Isolating her from her peers and humiliating her is not the way to encourage her to learn and become a better person. They should have at least issued a warning and gave her the opportunity to take remedial classes and put the work in to make up for her mistakes. So far Anthony seems to just be bullying his daughter and using "reasonable" excuses to justify his actions. Whatta dickwad.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:41 AM
Louise

TOM PLEASE STOP THIS MADNESS

30 Mar 2015 | 10:47 AM
Kate

I appreciate that he calls her Ms. rather than Miss. I don't think he's an asshole. I actually really like him.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:49 AM
AL

In a regular school, maybe. But I'm not sure how it would work for getting caught/punished year(s) after the fact. (Full disclosure, I'm a teacher... we don't actually DO that... continue to go over students' work after they've finished.) But the point is, she's already passed her year 9 exams in a school where you can graduate Foley if someone accidentally gives you name. This is a BS threat. Give her extra work, monitoring, whatever. Keep her in her dad's class, because that sounds like torture enough. But holding her back a year is just pointless.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:55 AM
DS

The further we get in this storyline the more convinced I am that this is all a nightmare Annie is having, in which all of her guilt and fears well up to the surface. This is just a ridiculous deluge of everything bad that could possibly happen to her. Seriously... NOBODY in Gunnerkrigg Court wanted to do anything about her cheating when they KNEW about it? And better yet they let the new guy, who obviously isn't impartial, unilaterally see fit to take it on himself to punish her? And this news actually comes AFTER SHE HAS ALREADY SPENT A DAY IN YEAR 10? Schools do not work this way! There is not a single lick of any kind of logic in this. If this isn't a nightmare/dream/illusion of some kind, I will be extremely disappointed.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:55 AM
Achorus

It's not surprising at all that the court is aware of Annie's cheating and does nothing about it. Her grades are not the most interesting thing about her in the court's eyes. This speaks volumes about Tony though. He won't allow his daughter get a shoddy education just because she's of other value to the court.

30 Mar 2015 | 10:55 AM
Pangur Ban

Perhaps Jones might have a little something to add . . .? Public school might be preferable to being under surveillance by the Court at all times, and having a hyper-critical father on your case everyday. Imagine if she started dating! The headmaster must be celebrating with a bottle of beer now!

30 Mar 2015 | 11:10 AM
Keith

Still not convinced that he isn't a robot or clone for the court.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:11 AM
jimpost

burn him, girl. this is not the father you are seeking. there's nothing to see here. move on.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:14 AM
Murph04

...and due to her elemental nature Annie transferred to Foley where they study different subjects, and she got a room with Red right next to Shadow and the Bunnyman introduced last chapter.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:18 AM
Jay

So I was thinking about this for a while and I believe that Anthony has a good reason for doing this. Think about it. If the Court knew about this but didn't do anything, they were probably waiting until she stepped out of line again so that they would be able to expel her. In doing so, they could get Renard etc. It wouldn't be farfetched either as Annie has proved before that she doesn't really care about the Court and does what she wants (although she has calmed down a bit). I think that by doing this, Anthony is giving her a second chance to not be forced from a place that she actually enjoys and still learn the material. Yes, he did it in a harsh way, but I still think he has her best intentions in mind. I still want to see him interact with Kat's parents though.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:21 AM
le maymay master

I hope he dies full of regrets

30 Mar 2015 | 11:29 AM
50srefugee

First: It's not about whether or not Miss Carter knows the material; it's about honor and integrity. Second: Would you cut any of the boys this much slack? Or does the fact that Annie is a cute redhead with an engaging personality mean she gets excused for egregious misbehavior? Comes to that, why aren't you cutting Mr. Carver any slack? Is it because he's male, and men are held to higher standards? Third: Mr. Carver looks rather gaunt to me. I suspect he has not being leading a comfortable life, and that he is holding his daughter to the same standards he demands of himself. Here it is, folks: You want girls and women to hold the same power as boys and men? Hold them to the same standards, and subject them to the same risks. Stop reflexively defending them when they do wrong.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:42 AM
jumpingjoy88

Not a harsh punishment at all. She's lucky not to get expelled with what she did. Any cheating at my school and she'd be gone. No questions asked. Only repeating the last grade? That's merciful.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:42 AM
Insane Kitsune

I'm all for Anitimony being held accountable for her actions but I still Hate that man that played a small part in her coming into existence. I knew the Court was way lenient with her as hard as they can be, so I'm cool with Annie getting into trouble but, c'mon! Not his teaching and response but the fact he is so dead set on his plans he doesn't care about breaking his daughter. That man...HOW DID SURMA HOOK UP WITH HIM?! HE WAS ALWAYS SCUM!

30 Mar 2015 | 11:43 AM
Lab

Am I the only one here who actually thinks forcing a student to repeat a grade for cheating in more than half of her classes isn't really that unreasonable... I know he's a jackass, but the rage about this seems undeserved.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:46 AM
50srefugee

Aaron @ 30 Mar 2015 | 10:05 AM: "Carver seems like a military man. Break them down so you can build them back up stronger. Works great for the military with cadets. With teenage girls? Not so much." Really? Why not? Girls don't belong in the military because they can't be held to the same ethical standards, or be trained with the same methods? I'm not disagreeing with you, mind, just making sure you're willing to follow that line of thought to its logical conclusion.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:47 AM
Wentil

It's actually great that he is willing to let her repeat the year instead of kicking her out of school entirely. Not surprising that the Court was turning a blind eye, since she's the Medium (reminds us of superstar Football Scholarship students at some schools), and that's probably why he can't expel her. But Annie is a cheater, and cheating has definite and unpleasant consequences. This is a hard and painful lesson to learn, but it must be taught very sternly if it is to sink in. The fact that her father is teaching it, instead of some court stooge, is great. He is a good, strong father figure, and he isn't taking any poop from his wayward daughter. He's apparently a solid disciplinarian -- had he been there the whole time during her upbringing, Annie would have had a more proper mindset, and wouldn't have even thought of cheating.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:50 AM
Bradling

Tony where is the love?

30 Mar 2015 | 11:54 AM
Wen

So here's how this is gonna play out. Carver-man's gonna berate Annie and continue being douchebag-dad. Annie's eventually gonna need a good cry. Instead of Carver-man's intentions of pushing them apart, Kat's eventually gonna show up at the tree where they first opened up to one another and offer a shoulder. Once that's done, Kat'n'Annie are gonna level-headedly talk about why cheating is wrong and accept the punishment. Ready for the feels? Break.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:54 AM
Leanna

As much as I want to rage and yell about how totally unfair he's being to poor Annie, oh my god!.....He's really not. We knew she was cheating, but it sounds like she's been cheating a lot more than anyone suspected. What did she think would happen? Cheating in a subject that she's not good at is bad enough, but if she's been cheating in every subject except Biology and History then that is BAD. That's what, 3-4 classes she has been cheating in? Cheating HEAVILY? Really, she's extremely lucky that she's getting a chance to make that year up at all. Her Dad still comes off as a dick, but his behavior makes way more sense now.

30 Mar 2015 | 11:56 AM
Bradling

Tony where is the love?

30 Mar 2015 | 11:59 AM
Punchbot 9000

Can we get to the punching part yet? I've had enough of the hating him bit.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:02 PM
stevegallacci

I'm still holding out that this is a dream sequence projecting Annie's anxiety over her past performance versus potential scrutiny if her father is, in fact, now on the facility

30 Mar 2015 | 12:07 PM
NotBoxBot

Annie's face has been as red as her hair for a few pages now. Her dad really has her frazzled. P.S - I can't get over how messed up his face is. What happened to him??

30 Mar 2015 | 12:07 PM
Magma

OOOHHH... I told you, but nope. Kat won't do anything about it! Well.... YOU'RE WRONG! >:(

30 Mar 2015 | 12:09 PM
Riiiiiiiiiight

Ha, he's bluffing. If the court already knew, and didn't do anything, he sure as hell can't. He's an entry level employee, he has NO authority over whether or not a student gets held back or not. Especially not when it conflicts with the decisioins of people who actually COULD have had her repeat year 9.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:09 PM
nemderogatorius

Even Jones would smash him in the face now.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:28 PM
alexa

gosh dammit get anja or donald or jimmy jims whatever, somebody talk some sense into this man SHE'S YOUR GODDAMN DAUGHTER treat her like that dude

30 Mar 2015 | 12:29 PM
Lass

Annie SHOULD be punished for cheating, yes. But Anthony has no right to do it, as a teacher or a father. As a teacher, he seems fairly new; it should be a teacher who has been watching Annie consistently to decide what to do. And as for parenting? He forfeited his right to be her father long ago. You can't just be a parent when you NEED to be one, Tony! It's a full-time job that you have neglected, much like your daughter has hers as a student. Your wife would be ashamed of you, and you should leave Annie alone until you can be the father she deserves!

30 Mar 2015 | 12:43 PM
LadyX

Maybe he kinda coulda sorta pulled this at the start of summer break, you know? Summer School, Year 9 Redeux. And here, let me tutor you, daughter of mine whom I don't like because I was second choice, to spare Eglamore the pain of losing Surma and having it be ALL THE DAD'S FAULT.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:43 PM
Ryan

It's not that he's wrong, it's that literally the last person on Earth who can take the moral high ground on this. You can't just abandon your child and then come back to chastise them

30 Mar 2015 | 12:45 PM
Tiamat

Hey, he finally acknowledged she's his daughter, at least.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:47 PM
Itazu

When this chapter started, I thought it was going to be a dream. Each page is making me less sure of that, but I still want it to be a dream so that her dad isn't really like this.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:57 PM
Sam

I think this is missing the point. If she was cheating, it meantshe needed the help. Granted our current culture sees cheating as an unforgivable crime, but the fact is, they knew about the cheating, they did nothing. The girl needs a tutor. That said, she's the forest medium. Why does she even need to stay in school? Her job is to listen to the problems of the forest critters. She doesn't need to be brainy for that. In short, she doesn't need their approval, and if they won't help (they haven't) she can always leave.

30 Mar 2015 | 12:59 PM
Crank

Well, at least he waited for everyone to leave before failing her! What an emotional roller-coaster for Annie, going from seeing her father for the first time in years to failing a grade in the same morning...

30 Mar 2015 | 1:02 PM
Siraj

Okay, I'm actually a teacher's kid, and even my dad wouldn't pull this massive amount of bullshit on me. He was hard on me, but this is just insane by comparison.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:06 PM
Sheeshmode

One of the posters made an interesting point about Carver's seemingly immediate use of the 'nuclear option'. It is clear to me he is afraid of his own Daughter. How intriguing.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:27 PM
pretty flacko

Kat - TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?! * NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA* * NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU NU*

30 Mar 2015 | 1:28 PM
Gill

Everybody who's going "Anthony's just really strict/hardass and Annie was cheating so that totally justifies it!" (and I've tutored kids in remedial programs and worked with teachers for several years): When the entire class is sweating bullets over your lesson and you don't stop to check their understanding, engage them, or answer any questions, but assign more 'recommended reading', and when your response to a student cheating/failing badly in nearly all her subjects is to publicly humiliate her and then isolate her further by putting her back a grade, you are a really, really crappy teacher. This isn't Anthony Carver giving constructive criticism. This is Anthony Carver being a massive jerkwad. And where *are* Jones and the Court in all of this?

30 Mar 2015 | 1:28 PM
Genthar

Sure seems like he's going out of his way to isolate Annie from everyone...

30 Mar 2015 | 1:29 PM
Volk0v

Instead of making her repeat the grade, why couldn't he just have her retake the exams and go from there? What, did she cheat on the exams too? That just... seems unlikely...

30 Mar 2015 | 1:36 PM
ArcaneArts

Actually, again I can understand the reasoning here, but I find myself asking: If the Court knew about it, why didn't they do anything about it? A parent does have the right to make this sort of demand, and while Anthony is a phenomenal douche, this is him doing something that resembles the form of care, with ambiguity about the intent. I can't fault him for it. But I'm also of the opinion that if the Court's 'fine' with it, and Antimony's fine with it, then shouldn't we let her proceed with focusing on what she wants to do and the skills that will contribute to that ideal? Anthony expects more, that's fine-I can't call him wrong on this one. But it is an extremely one-sided approach to the parent-child relationship on this matter, and that's honestly worse for reintroduction than anything he's done during the class.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:41 PM
Adam

I don't understand why this upsets people. If you cheat on anything twice at my school, you fail the course. If I'm understanding this correctly, she cheated many times in nearly every class. Heck yeah she's repeating a year. She doesn't know any of the material!

30 Mar 2015 | 1:43 PM
Sherni

To everyone who keeps saying that Anthony is being reasonable and Annie deserves what she got- and far worse, keep in mind that sending her back a year is likely to make her issues even worse. With the position she has, she needs the support of her friends and separating her from them will not have good consequences. Also the Court- which was effectively in charge of her- let this situation build up. She should not be punished for their mistake. Punished, yes. But not like this.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:45 PM
Go away

And summer school to try and prove she knows the material/go to the next grade is out of the question becaaaause? Oh right because he's a huge prick.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:48 PM
Nope

Nows the time to look into emancipation paperwork.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:50 PM
Tiny Valkyrie

I think it is unarguable that Anthony is a horrible parent (even if he DOES have some sort of plottastic excuse), but in this particular case I see little wrong with his reactions as a TEACHER. The level of cheating Annie has been getting away with could easily have gotten her expelled, so holding her back is totally reasonable. Like everyone else, I wonder why the school's been letting her get away with it. It could be special treatment because she is the "star" of the class or that they look at her academics as unimportant (like with Zimmy), but I expect it is more nefarious than either of those; Letting her dig a hole until it is too late to turn back perhaps? Can't wait to see where this goes!

30 Mar 2015 | 1:51 PM
Xeneus

If the court knows this and they were letting it go, wouldn't that mean that you are going against their wishes by forcing her to repeat a year?

30 Mar 2015 | 1:51 PM
Steph

I love how you approved an attempt at mysql injection. Amazing hahahah

30 Mar 2015 | 1:58 PM
Lou

He may be right about the cheating and her needing to repeat a grade, HOWEVER the way he chooses to handle it is still horrible. The whole make-up incident (especially since other girls where wearing make-up) was completely unnecessary and a sign of him not having her best interests in mind, no matter of what he's trying to make it seem like.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:58 PM
Anonymous Person

Making her repeat a grade *seems* reasonable. You know, if she was at a normal school with a normal teacher. But this is her deadbeat dad and the always suspicious Court. So it *seems* reasonable on the surface, but I am afraid of any ulterior motives.

30 Mar 2015 | 1:58 PM
164549-8753294

It really takes a skilled writer to make a character so hated so quickly. Good job, seriously.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:00 PM
Eric Burns-White

By the by -- I'm not excusing Dr. Carver in any of this. He's a horrible father and clearly also a pretty crap teacher. As someone else mentioned -- if the Court knew she was cheating, but allowed her to take her Year 9 exams and passed her, you don't just spontaneously regress her a year after the fact. But... for those who are saying he doesn't have the 'right' to do what he's doing... well, of course he does. He's a parent. He can in fact demand the school -- which has already failed Antimony by not holding her accountable for her Academic Dishonesty at the time it occurred -- make up for that fact. That the way he's suggesting doing it isn't *ethically* defensible doesn't really enter into it. As for his goals... well....

30 Mar 2015 | 2:05 PM
Lerciolas

Antimony, don't you miss Muut?

30 Mar 2015 | 2:06 PM
Zaorish

It is dramatic. I am entertained. Thanks Tom! : D

30 Mar 2015 | 2:07 PM
WOW

I'm concerned for the commenters who persist in defending Anthony. If you really want Annie to suffer and be abused by an absentee father, why do you bother reading the comic?

30 Mar 2015 | 2:08 PM
Eric Burns-White

I wonder if Dr. Carver's overriding goal is to make certain that Antimony doesn't come out like Surma. Not simply in her end -- in any way. I'm increasingly certain he's the reason she wasn't chosen as the Medium. We know Surma wore cosmetics -- and IIRC taught Antimony to use them. Now he's barring them from his class. When her powers began to manifest, he stretched his hand out to try and anchor them inside of her.... If there's something to condemn Dr. Carver for, it's his desire to make Antimony into something she's not, over and over again, while being unwilling to actually parent her. (I really, really wish I hadn't encountered parents just like that in my time at our school, but I have.)

30 Mar 2015 | 2:09 PM
Kamil

Seriously, it's not surprising that such decision comes from a man of science, teacher and a parent (even though he is bad at parenting - but we don't know about other fields). Annie must be lagging seriously in knowledga of many subjects after her colleagues because of cheating constantly and probably she wouldn't be able to keep up on her own. Repeating a year is giving her more time to repair damage she has done to her education. He is still a dick for how he pulled whole thing off, he should talk to her before year started. Maybe that is his idea of giving her a bitter lesson? Well, his reasoning seems logical and he can't be blamed for this. Only for other things he messed up.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:12 PM
Noip13

This is such a terrible way to handle this that I can't even speak coherently right now. It's just coming out as a garbled bunch of curses and vows of vengeance?

30 Mar 2015 | 2:14 PM
Quotidian

Hey Annie, if repeating Year 9 means you don't have this absentee authoritarian as a teacher it might be worth considering...

30 Mar 2015 | 2:19 PM
Kat

What a dick.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:28 PM
Vetieno

Really, you can't see how much he admires you, Tony? Annie's practically smiling from 3 pages ago.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:29 PM
Sinensis

Let me get this straight. The school knew and no one ever stepped in to give her an option to correct her behavior. Her father has been utterly ignoring her until now. He arrived, WENT THROUGH ALL OF HER PAPERS, and never contacted her. No one told her he was coming. He decided to publicly shame her as their first interaction, and now he's trying to separate her from her entire social network. Oh, did we mention the ABANDONING HER AFTER THE DEATH OF HER MOTHER thing? Y'know? The part where this is their first interaction in three years? I really can't believe people are defending this jerk. Facing the consequences for cheating is one thing. Being an emotionless, abusive, manipulative manchild and directly harming your daughter's academic career is quite another. I really don't care what his long term plan is--there's no excuse for this kind of behavior. Not from someone over the age of 6.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:31 PM
SurferWeb

senshuken, I have a response for you. in some previous chapters, there are instances of annie cheating off of kat, not vice-versa

30 Mar 2015 | 2:35 PM
Oodnamintensis

I love all the commenters offering advice on summer school and how they'd go about having Annie repeat classes. This school is not the same as the one you went to, guys. This school has Zimmy and laser cows and Boxbot.

30 Mar 2015 | 2:43 PM
nsme

And that is why she wasn't given a book?

30 Mar 2015 | 2:45 PM
Jackie

For some reason I feel like he's going to attack Annie and Kat's friendship... What a jerk. I have never hated a character more! But that's good, I definitely care what happens to these characters ^.^

30 Mar 2015 | 2:58 PM
Theory Robot

Either he is an immense douche bag, or he is trying to coax the fire spirit out so he can capture it, stabilize it, and cure Antimony of her "affliction". There is also a slight chance because her mother was not taken into the aether, that he can use the fire spirit to resurrect her. It's just a theory. Maybe he's just a big jerk nugget.

30 Mar 2015 | 3:14 PM
Luna

RUN ANTHONY RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN RUN TO THE FOREST AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!!!

30 Mar 2015 | 3:22 PM
Erin

I'm really, really hoping he's trying to make her angry as an experiment and not just being a dick for no reason. Although the teachers should have done something about the cheating immediately instead of letting her get so far "behind" that she'd have to repeat an entire grade. The court and the forest pulls Annie in so many directions, and she has certainly felt like she's above the rules in some instances. Doesn't help now that none of the other teachers seemed to care until Tony steps back in. I'm feeling so many different things right now about these characters... the last thing I would want is for Annie to have to get taken out of her class. If that were to happen, I'd abandon the school system entirely and just go live in the forest while visiting Kat when I can. Great comic as always Tom. You made me go on a little rant!

30 Mar 2015 | 3:25 PM